Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Lag spikes on PC using a wired connection.

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm finding that I'm getting lag spikes at various times throughout the day. Not sure what's causing it. Happening on various online multiplayer games and it's starting to get quite frustrating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag spikes on PC using a wired connection.

Hi. 

Are you using the superhub 3? I recently moved house and was forced to take the hub 3 instead of retaining my previous hub 2.

The hub 3 has been horrific with constant lag spikes. Run a BQM and post the result back here. In the end, I bought my own router and use the hub 3 in modem mode. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The Hub 3 is a cheap, commodity grade device with many faults, but my experience is that the old latency issues of the Puma chipset have been effectively quashed long ago - here's my Hub 3 connection on a good day:

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

The remaining latency spikes are primarily down to the nature of DOCSIS cable technology, and exist between the cable modem and the local CMTS, so buying your own router may well improve the mediocre wireless of the Hub 3, but it won't make any difference to the minimum underlying latency and spiking.  If you're seeing a BQM worse than this, then chances are there's a connection or area problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Edited, stupid phone won't post links properly. Will try later. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ive seen lots of people claim the latency issues have been fixed, but I also see lots of people with issues. 

From my recent personal experience, the routing capabilities of the hub 3 were woeful. 

Here's my umbiquiti BQM

d20e49a067240b1a136046b36f91ace364b7021a-05-12-2019.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm using the Hub 3 and as tempting as it is to buy a new router I'm hoping that a solution can be found first, doubtful after reading some posts on the forums but I'm feeling lucky.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yesterdays BQM graphBQM1.png

Todays BQM2.png

The second one doesn't look as erratic as the first pic but I am pretty clueless. Thanks for the replies

0 Kudos