Menu
GPR1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Lag problems playing online multiplayer games. Call of duty modern warfare 2019.

Lag problems playing online multiplayer games. Call of duty modern warfare 2019.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag problems playing online multiplayer games. Call of duty modern warfare 2019.

All that your links (now replaced with a graphic that is awaiting approval by mods) showed is that you've got a good fast connection, delivering your contracted speeds, and with an excellent ping to your nearest Ookla test server.

If you are having a problem with lag that is on the VM network you'd need to set up a Broadband Quality Monitor over at Thinkbroadband.com let it run for a few days and post the result here.

The graphic below shows what a reasonable VM connection looks like.  If yours is showing red fringing at the top, or a wider yellow band or higher yellow spikes, that's a VM cable problem.  If not, the blame may lie elsewhere.

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

0 Kudos
GPR1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag problems playing online multiplayer games. Call of duty modern warfare 2019.

Thank you for your help .I will try what you have suggested. Are there any settings within my Hub 3 that I can change to help ?.

If I bought a gaming router would this help ? If buying a gaming router helps any suggestions on what to buy would be fantastic.

Below is a speed test .

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are there any settings within my Hub 3 that I can change to help ?.

No, the Hub 3 is a mediocre wireless router, but as a cable modem it is what it is, and works as well as the underlying chipset is capable of.  When launched the Hub 3 had the notorious Puma chipset bug, but that's been fixed by multiple firmware revisions, and the performance is as good as is currently possible for a DOCSIS device.  There's nothing users can change that will get better latency or lower jitter.  And I'd suggest that piffling around in the more obscure settings is more likely to risk making things worse, although wifi can be better optimised (not a concern here, as far as I can tell since your PC is capable of 7ms and 550+ Mbps to the nearest Ookla server).

If I bought a gaming router would this help ?

I doubt it unless you're gaming over wifi, which is a bad thing anyway.  If you have a latency issue on an ethernet connected PC, most likely cause number one is the VM cable connection (noting that your reported speed and single figure latency look fine) and in that case changing the router won't make jot of difference.  Most likely cause number two is an upstream issue: For example internet routing problems that are mostly outside VM's control, connecting to far off servers (you'll have appalling latency if playing on any US-hosted servers, and unless Einstein's theory or relativity to be wrong, that can't be improved), or server congestion.  Again, no router can make a bling bit of difference to that.

There is one possibility where a gaming router might help, and that's if somebody else in the house is doing something that REALLY hogs bandwidth, in which case the Hub 3 can struggle because it doesn't support QoS, a capability most gaming routers use to manage latency sensitive applications.  With 550 Mbps at your disposal, and with online gaming using at most 2-5 Mbps this shouldn't be an issue, but the test is whether the problems occur only when that somebody else is using the connection, and then (by asking them to pause what they are doing) the problems go away, only to recur when they restart.  Before I spent any money on a gaming router, I'd REALLY want to be confident that QoS was going to solve it.

0 Kudos
andreas_dam
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Somebody told, that playing video games online via wifi router is pretty bad. He is right. It can be alright if you use it only for game, but if someone is watching film at the same time.... It just how it works.

What type of lags did you experienced (freezes, ping issues, packet loss or something different)? Sometimes it can be not internet issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
GPR1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Playing Call of duty modern warfare 2019 Beta , emptying a full mag into some players and and 2/3 shots from them and I die.

I have been playing FPS for many years and have a top gaming Pc and I don't think it is a hardware problem.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello GPR1

Sorry to send you a short message 

Reading the post service wise everything is looking spot on

Have you been able to purchase a 3rd party router yet

Gareth_L

0 Kudos