Menu
darren_
Dialled in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Issues with games and lag for weeks

My son has been on to me about the network lagging and getting kicked out of games so I checked the BQM on thinkbroadband I had set up. Normally its level all the time but last few weeks it's been terrible.  Can someone from the Virgin team have a look at my router/connection to see what the problem is?

bqm0908.PNGbqm1008.PNG

bqm1108.PNGbqm1208.PNGbqm1308.PNGbqm1408.PNGbqm1508.PNGbqm1608.PNG

0 Kudos
darren_
Dialled in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issues with games and lag for weeks

*bump*
0 Kudos
Static
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Could you visit http://192.168.0.1/ don’t log in.
Click “Check Router Status”
Copy/Paste the downstream power levels, upstream power levels and network log here.
0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It looks like you're running the hub in router mode? Do yourself a big favour, pick up a proper router (Asus Nighthawk series is well recommended around the forums, I purpose built a pfsense box myself and have a wifi controller and several wifi APs - ensure the router you have has QoS ability as well as this massively helps maintaining a stable ping and reduces bufferbloat significantly) stick the hub3 in modem mode and you'll knock probably 10ms off that base line ping, all things being equal, and you'll see significantly less spiking.

Also what firmware revision is running on your hub? Guessing its a hub3 too? If its not running a firmware revision 603 or 608 try forcing a reboot of the router VIA THE GUI not unplug and plug back in and see if it'll download a new firrmware, the 603 and 608 contain the Intel Puma6 'fix' but it looks like you're already running that from the BQMs either way a proper router with Qos will smooth out those highs, even when I'm streaming and gaming I get lower highs than you've got on your connection.
0 Kudos
darren_
Dialled in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The latency is external, I'm using a broadband quality monitor to monitor the response from the router externally. In the past, it's been very flat with barely a blip but last few weeks the internet connection has been lagging.  Using wifi and wired makes no difference.Screenshot (4).pngScreenshot (2).pngScreenshot (3).png

0 Kudos
darren_
Dialled in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Also, the peaks and red areas on the graphs are either when nobody is home or when we are all asleep. So I don't think it's our usage of the internet connection that is causing the latency on the line.

0 Kudos
Static
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Your upstream power levels are too high, and channel 3 has a massive amount of T3 timeouts. It will cause dropouts and result in an unstable connection. Call VM support and ask for an engineer to be booked, reboots/resets can’t fix it.

The engineer will likely fit you a Hub 3 when he arrives, which with the new firmware, now works fine.

Forum Team (Retired) Nicola_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello darren_

Thanks for painting the dates on the graphs it was most helpful. The hub and line looking good however examining the area historical data there was some intermittent area upstream noise and packet loss and it most likely accounts for your graphs. At the moment it is looking much better so fingers crossed it is for you too, please bring us up to date, actually sometimes when you post graphs it can be helpful to post the live link also if you would be so kind.

Thank you

PS should have said upstream power levels looking much better at the mo:-

45.8 dBmV 46.5 dBmV 44.8 dBmV 45.3 dBmV

It may be indicative as the hub may be instructed to raise them when there are area upstream problems btw so we receive the signal at the correct level.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
darren_
Dialled in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So I contacted support about my issue back in October and they sent an engineer to fix power levels and replace hub with a super hub 3.

This should have improved the network but after running the monitor for a couple of weeks it looks as bad, or even worse in some cases!

22-10-2018.png

23-10-2018.png

24-10-2018.png

25-10-2018.png

26-10-2018.png

27-10-2018.png

28-10-2018.png

So it appears VM cannot fix the issue so how do I claim back some of my payments for broadband? Plus the Super Hub 3 is like taking two steps back as far the router reliability and performance, it's the worst device I've had in 8 years.

BT do offer FTTP for my street now and I'm waiting for a reply from Sky to see if they do too. 

0 Kudos
darren_
Dialled in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It appears the images have been removed?  I know they posted correctly as I reviewed my post after submitting.

Here's the latest anyway, as you can see there is no improvement. In fact to am seeing a significant lag on my PS4 which is wired and next to the router.

05-11-2018.png04-11-2018.png03-11-2018.png02-11-2018.png01-11-2018.png31-10-2018.png

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos