cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet problems when gaming

shigeo
Joining in

Ok so firstly my broadband is virgin media's m500 deal which promises 550Mbps on average. However my house hasn't got FTTH (Fibre to the house) meaning I could only reach around 60Mbps even when using ethernet and optimal settings.

However when playing it suggests otherwise as I do get 0 to 10 ping but it randomly spikes to 500 and I get 80%+ packet loss and then my game freezes completely. After which I quit the game and I tells me I'm connected without Internet access. I've youtubed numerous videos and community suggestions. However without any improvement. This has happened ever since I got the broadband.

I thought it was due to overheating However when using a desk fan directly facing it in my room at around 24⁰ at average meaning it shouldn't result in disconnecting.

My mtu settings are 1400 . I've done all suggested things such as resetting full reset to default settings. I use Google dns server when I troubleshoot it says failed to connect to Internet and that's all.

Any help is appreciated if you want my router status and downstream upstream details then I can send them here.

3 REPLIES 3

Icantcrabhere
Superfast

Hi!

Definitely post your modem/router logs before staff get here, it'll let you move along quicker.
Copy and paste ideally, since screenshots can often be hard to read.

Also setup/post a Broadband quality monitor:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

This allows us to see your minimum/average/maximum ping, along with packet loss, etc.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @shigeo,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am incredibly sorry to hear that you've been facing some connection quality issues recently. Are these ongoing today? If so, as has been suggested by a community member in this thread, would you mind sharing a live BQM and other data if possible so we can have a closer look at what's going on?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Shigeo, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the connection when gaming. 

I cannot see an issue at the moment, can you confirm if this has now been resolved since posting on Thursday? 

Would you be able to post your quality monitor please, if this has not been set up yet it can be done here

Chris