cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intense Rubberbanding However Ping(s) Look Fine.... (Upgraded to Gig1)

Elmzy89
Tuning in

Hello All,

I'm turning to the forums in the hopes of getting this issue troubleshooted and resolved ASAP as I've been dealing with it for weeks.

Earlier in the year, we upgraded to Gig1 after being on one of the lower packages. Ever since, whilst SpeedTest & Google Home shows somewhat consistently good speeds / upload.... when playing most games, especially competitive FPS games, I'm encountering HUGE rubberbanding which is making the experience unplayable.

I'm going to attach some BQM's for reference.

Pre-Gig1

Elmzy89_0-1662852967097.png

Gig1 (Normal/Non Modem Mode)

Elmzy89_1-1662853037903.png

Gig1 Modem Mode

Elmzy89_2-1662853075497.png

As an example, when playing CS:GO, my ping looks fine, on the net graph it looks fine (no packet loss etc) but then I get the above 2 BQMs since switching to Gig1 and notice the rubberbanding all over the place. Even friends have been constantly saying my character looks like it's teleporting around.

Setup

Currently I have the following setup for our home network;

1. Hub 4 in Modem Mode
  2. Hub 4 -> Netgear 5 Port Gigabit Network Switch
  3. Netgear Switch -> PC via Ethernet

I've also tried it with the Hub 4 -> Google Nest Router -> PC via Ethernet as well as Hub 4 -> PC via Ethernet, all with the same results. It's extremely frustrating and I'm perplexed.

If anyone could offer any advice, guidance or assistance, it'd be greatly appreciated! If it'd be useful to provided any further accompanying information, please let me know what it is and how to get it and I'll respond ASAP! 🙂

*Additional Info*: Checking online, some forums advised that all red BQMs = wrong IP however checking this via the BQM tools I can confirm that the IP is correct on the last 2 BQMs since the Gig1 uprade.

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If your Hub is in Modem mode you need an 3rd party router, so the Nest needs to be the only device attached to the Hub in modem mode.  The Nest will then do all the router functions.

So Hub 4 MM - >  Nest ->  Switch  ->  Rest of network.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks so much for coming back on this @Adduxi!

I've reviewed your advice and done as suggested, so the current setup is confirmed to be as follows:

• Hub 4 MM -> Nest -> Switch (5th Port on Netgear GS305E) -> Rest of network

Since the change, I started up a new BQM and this is the result so far;

Elmzy89_0-1662925686269.png

Currently it's looking to be the same. I've updated the Firmware on the Switch, restarted the Network, ensured the Nest Router is set to DHCP mode. All the cables are working well and aren't damaged.

Do you have any other suggestions? Also, for the BQM, do I need to use a different IP to the one that it shows when I go to create the BQM via my PC? I'm guessing that one should still be suitable as that's the IP of the device that's having the issues.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need the WAN IP for a BQM. It should be visible in your Nest router. All your internal IP addresses will be 192.168.0.xxx so don’t use any of those.

The WAN IP will be completely different e.g 86.145.12.93 or something along those lines.

BTW, there is a bug that makes the BQM a solid red block, so don’t assume you have the wrong IP recorded.  Sometimes a factory pinhole reset of the Hub cures it for a while. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Elmzy89, thanks for your posts and replies on our help forum.

We're sorry to see you're having issues with performing a BQM graph and test the hub for issues, how have things gone since you last posted here if you wish to give us an update on this? Has the advice from Adduxi helped you resolve this?

Let us know and we're eager to assist further with this if you need us.
Regards,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks so much for all of your replies so far everyone and for replying as well @Adri_G.

Currently, we have an Engineer booked to come and visit us next week to check things out. Doing further research, I discovered that using Google Wifi/Routers etc will always show as fully red as they don't have a particular function that responds to ping requests (I think it was).

I've still been seeing the issues, I've adjusted the network config and believe it was and still is setup in the optimal way. I'm still unfortunately getting rubberbanding in online games whilst playing via ethernet. It's extremely noticeable and still makes the games unplayable. Additionally, performing a speedtest today shows that we're only getting 93 MB Download and 40 Upload, despite being on the Gig 1 package.

Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Our Virgin Hub 4 is in Modem Mode as I was experiencing double NAT issues when had it set up normally and was connected to the Google Router + Network.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

93mb sounds like either a 10/100 NIC or a bad cable. Make sure your NIC’s are all set to Gigabit and you are using Cat 6a cables. 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Elmzy89, 

Thank you for updating the thread. 

Please do let us now how the visit goes and if we can assist further. 

Thanks, 

Nat