cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insane latency spikes - Outright loss of service during peak hours.

DylanK01
On our wavelength

For the last month, my wifi has rapidly been getting worse and worse to the point where using extenders, powerline adapters or directly wired ethernet doesn't do anything.

I've upgraded to a mesh wifi system and added my own router and put the hub in modem mode and nothing seems to be helping. I've switched between both systems when I face issues to rule out the issue being on my end.

I've had 2 engineer visits. The first put my downstream db levels "within spec" and the 2nd just replaced my hub. Nothing has improved, it's continued to get worse. I'm scared to call again and end up paying a £25 fine.

Our wifi is approaching un-useable levels and restarting it no longer fixes our issues for a couple of hours. I'm desperate to get this fixed as I work from home and I'm stuck in a contract that I refuse to pay because I want to leave. 

I'm using the Hub 4 in modem mode, with the TP-Link Archer AX23 (AX1800) router, with 2 OneMesh extenders. Watching YouTube is considered a privilege at this point. I'm almost certain the issue is not on my end at this point.

12 REPLIES 12

DylanK01
On our wavelength

Snap1.PNGSnap2.PNGSnap3.PNGSnap4.PNG

DylanK01
On our wavelength

Capture.PNG

Latency has been like the graphs above for the last month now. It's starting to have a better heartbeat than I do!

Hello DylanK01

We're sorry to hear of the problems regarding your connection and the impact this is having. We appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums and welcome to the community.

We've tried to locate an account for you based off of the details used to register for the forum but haven't been able to, this may be due to you using the Hub in modem mode. We can't offer any support for that but the other members of the forums team have extensive knowledge of third party equipment and will be happy to assist in that regard.

We have these tips available to help with broadband issues:

Let us know

Rob

DylanK01
On our wavelength

My forum details are not the same as my account details for my virgin media subscription. Third-party equipment is being used to try and rule out poor signal range or too many devices being on the AP. But considering how my latency spikes also occur on ethernet when using both the hub and new router, I suspect the issue is being caused outside of our home down the line. Even though the engineer told us that our signal was fine. 

Broadband.PNG

Ignoring the outright packet drop at nearly 10 am (because of the daily router restart I have set up), our latency is incredibly inconsistent, and even at 4 am and 6 am where I am awake as I work late and have a late sleep cycle, I am running into unreasonable latency. There are even small signs of packet drops across the day as well. 

DylanK01
On our wavelength

Capture.PNG

This just isn't usable for gaming.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Do some tests here
https://packetlosstest.com/
---------------------------------------------------------------

DylanK01
On our wavelength

PacketLoss.PNG

DylanK01
On our wavelength

PacketLoss.PNG

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Bad jitter by UDP

Are you overclocking your PC?

Can you test with PC to hub in modem mode without a router.
---------------------------------------------------------------