cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge latency spikes

fpetrou
Joining in

Recently switched to Virgin from Sky due to this same issue. You can see in the image these tests run for around a 5 seconds each so these spikes are happening every 3-8 seconds. 

Connecting to a server in Manchester from London shouldn't really give above 20ms let alone jumping above 200. 

The fact I had this same issue with my last provider and Virgin run off completely different cables and is installed in a totally different area of the house makes me think it's a problem with my connection to the green box maybe? Is there anyway for me to get someone out to check this over properly?

My speeds are actually fine and achieving over 200 download as promised but these latency spikes make games completely unplayable, the specific game I play has been around for over 20 years so to think people were playing in the 90s with no issues makes it even more frustrating.Ping.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

VM Hub IP is 192.168.100.1 for Modem mode and 192.168.0.1 for Router mode.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

See if it does it with hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

Still similar, if anything seems to be even more erratic in modem mode

Also I can't log in to my router in browser now since I changed it to modem modePing2.jpg

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Guess it upstream buffering that the modem can't send out due to load by everyone in your area.

Their are two ways this could have gone the modem being smart knows it has packets to send but can't should it:

A: drop them in the buffer for waiting too long because they be pointless sending them when it can

B; wait to send them even if the wait is 200ms     

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Legend

VM Hub IP is 192.168.100.1 for Modem mode and 192.168.0.1 for Router mode.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello fpetrou,

Thank you very much for joining our Community.
Can I just apologise for latency issues you are experiencing.

How were you installed? if it was a self install. It might be best if we arranged for an engineer to attend to check the up and downstream power levels
We can run a few tests from here and check on your equipment.
Sadly its not showing anything wrong, So I will need to send you a private message to gain account access and run further tests.
If you can check the envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

An engineer came out to set up the router initially

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for clarifying that, fpetrou.

We would still need to run some further tests to continue assisting you, and I can see that Gareth has sent you a private message. Please respond to him when you can, so we can get things back to normal. 

You'll find his message in the top-right, white envelope. If you can't see the envelope, just tap your Profile Picture and then "My Messages".

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ