cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 settings

AaronShippam
Joining in

Hi so I've recently got the hub 4 and noticed that you can change settings for it online. Does anybody have any recommendations for settings on the hub 4 specifically for gaming

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AaronShippam wrote:

Hi so I've recently got the hub 4 and noticed that you can change settings for it online. Does anybody have any recommendations for settings on the hub 4 specifically for gaming

Yes, set it in Modem mode and get a better router 🙂

Apart from that, split the SSID's and turn of Smart Optimisation on the wifi.  Do a wifi survey of your property and set the wifi channels accordingly.  Also don't use wifi for gaming, always cable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I can't really use cable as ir need to bring the wire all the way upstairs however would powerline adapters be of any use?

Also how do I split the SSID's

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AaronShippam wrote:

I can't really use cable as ir need to bring the wire all the way upstairs however would powerline adapters be of any use?

I’m no fan of PLA’s but they are still better than WiFi provided the house wiring is good. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AaronShippam wrote:

Also how do I split the SSID's

Append -2 and -5 to the end of the existing SSID’s. That way you can control what connects to what WiFi band. You can use the same password for each if you want. 

I just wrote 5g and 2g next to them both. Also can I ask, what would be the benefits of using a different router instead of the hub 4? Like will it help with things like latency and packet loss?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AaronShippam wrote:

I just wrote 5g and 2g next to them both. Also can I ask, what would be the benefits of using a different router instead of the hub 4? Like will it help with things like latency and packet loss?

A different router will not help correct any problems in the VM circuit, like latency or packet loss.  These will still exist whether or not you use the Hub or your own router.

However using your own networking kit gives you better control over your network, e.g. DNS settings, parental control, QOS etc.  It's not hard for a £150 quality router or Mesh system to outperform any "built to a price" ISP kit.  In all the years I've been with NTL/VM I've never used any of the supplied Hub's as Routers, they go straight to Modem mode as I have my own networking kit.