Menu
Highlighted
lynxblaine
Tuning in
Message 4391 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 / Compal CH7465-LG (TG2492LG) and CGNV4 Latency Cause

I have genuinely had a much better experience with the 608 firmware to before, DNS searches don't fall, websites load more evenly and gaming has been much improved. Someone did do a deep analysis of the new firmware and it is genuinely loads better. Not as good as BT but it never will be. 

tricksterdude
Joining in
Message 4392 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone tell me if these problems exist in modem mode or is it just when the superhub is in router mode? Is the 608 firmware fine in modem mode?

I'm considering upgrading, I already own a decent router, I never use virgin's hubs as a router, but don't want to take the leap until I know my gaming won't be affected.

0 Kudos
justasking1992
On our wavelength
Message 4393 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@tricksterdude wrote:

Can anyone tell me if these problems exist in modem mode or is it just when the superhub is in router mode? Is the 608 firmware fine in modem mode?

I'm considering upgrading, I already own a decent router, I never use virgin's hubs as a router, but don't want to take the leap until I know my gaming won't be affected.

I got a SH3 today because my SH1 had fully died, it was not receiving enough downstream no matter what even with Attuenators it would not recieve enough power levels and would disconnect often. 

I am running mine in router mode and everything is fine, obviously I am connected via Ethernet straight to my PC.

So far with my SH3 it is already on 603 firmware and I live in the Leeds 8 area and gaming feels the same, if anything Ping has dropped by 5~ on CSGO and League of legends. And I have been running ping tests since I first got it and have no issues with high ping spikes or packet loss really so far.

0 Kudos
justasking1992
On our wavelength
Message 4394 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@lynxblaine wrote:

I have genuinely had a much better experience with the 608 firmware to before, DNS searches don't fall, websites load more evenly and gaming has been much improved. Someone did do a deep analysis of the new firmware and it is genuinely loads better. Not as good as BT but it never will be. 

With my experience so far for a day with the SH3 I can only agree with this, I had a SH1 until today that has sadly died. 

So far my SH3 with 608 firmware in Router mode and gaming feels no different than it did with my SH1, if anything I have lost 5~ ping on some of my games. No issues with packet loss or choke either.

0 Kudos
keasy
Up to speed
Message 4395 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Why would your ping drop?

Surely you're being routed the same.

Are you comparing to your SH1?

0 Kudos
Enigmo
Joining in
Message 4396 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

So I'm new here and not a Virgin customer. However, since my area is a non-fibre area with Openreach, Virgin Media looks like my only shot at internet above 17-24Mbps DL speed and 140KBps upload speed...hence, my interest. But, I've seen so much complaint about Virgin, and have even had a horrible encounter myself with them last year, so I'm being extremely careful before actually phoning them.

I just wanted to ask does this latency issue only affect online gaming? If so, to what degree? Is it bad enough to make the games unplayable? Or is the problem that you can't play at the highest competitive levels? The only game I play online is Tekken 7 on PC--a fighting game--so wondering how that'd be affected compared to FPS games. But, gaming isn't a big concern to me. My priority is downloading and uploading files at high speeds, but not sure if the latency issues will have a big effect.

On another note, I watched a YouTuber ranting about how Virgin capped his internet because he was "using it too much", despite him being on an UNLIMITED bandwidth package...Is this something Virgin really do? How the hell do they get away with it? Does Ofcom have nothing to say about this?

I'm with Sky and if Fibre was available in my area at twice the price of Virgin Media, I would get it based on what I'm seeing about Virgin. Sky doesn't ever disconnect me, never caps my internet and I almost always get the full 24Mbps when downloading. I can also play games online fairly well, unless my brother is playing online on the PS4 at the same time.

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 4397 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Enigmo
So the short answer to your question is both yes and no.
Mostly the Intel Puma 6 issues appear to have been mitigated, the youtuber is likely referring to upload, if you're not on the top tier package or a business package Virgin limit the amount of data you can upload in a period and if you go over that then they cap your upload speed to half, and unless its a tech youtuber, they either probably don't know that, or in all honesty probably don't know what they're talking about. Since the firmware patch I've found Virgin to match and very very very occasionally beat a dsl line in gaming, more often than not its a few ms higher but generally now for me as someone who plays HoTS alot (6000+ games in the last 2-3 years).

That said virtually all ISP provider router modems are utter junk because they're made to a cost, not to a feature set or a certain standard, you only need to look about on the forum to see that alot of people have issues with the wifi, I'm on a business package which is worth the extra IMO, and I run my Hitron (business equivalent of the Hub3) in modem mode with a proper router sat behind it with QoS applied, which means I can max the line (less what I hold back) and still get a stable 20ms ping in a game i.e. hit 180mb/sec download speed and still be playing a game of HoTS fine (HoTS is EXTREMELY sensitive to jitter and lag).

I was in a similar kind of situation that you mention, I only had the option of BT et al, but on Infinity 2 I was only getting about 42mb/s after alot of playing about and fiddling with the connection to get it to be super stable, and managed to get my upload to 6mb/s, switching to Virgin I then got 220mb and 15mb upload (although these days I seem to hit a max of around 13mb) the speed difference is huge, 90Gb GTAV download? no worries down in under 45mins.... Unless you go FTTP you cannot beat Virgin for speed, because of the way that the HFC network works you will get more jitter with cable than DSL (DSL is typical 2-4ms in my experience) and without QoS on Virgin lines will peak upto around 200ms, with QoS switched on I generally hit a max of about 20-30ms (when upload is maxed out) I can get this all the time even when streaming as well.

If you think I'm pandering to Virgin and making out that they have no issues, this is 100% not the case and you're welcome to go back through my post history a few months ago where I was actively advising people not to take Virgin and to leave and break contract via Cisas, I feel comfortable in recommending Virgin again.

If you're actually a pro gamer don't get Virgin or get Virgin as your second connection for big downloads, the house opposite me is a relatively big UK LoL eSports team and thats exactly the setup they have
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 4398 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@Luke_113 wrote:
@hi @Enigmo
So the short answer to your question is both yes and no.
Mostly the Intel Puma 6 issues appear to have been mitigated, the youtuber is likely referring to upload, if you're not on the top tier package or a business package Virgin limit the amount of data you can upload in a period and if you go over that then they cap your upload speed to half, 

Not anymore. The traffic management was scrapped on the same day the new "average speed" advertising came into force. Not reducing the upload speed of heavy users helps to keep the averages looking good. Also the improvements to upstream (more channels, 64QAM modulation) have further reduced the need for traffic management.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Upload-traffic-Management-removed-on-all-packages/td-p/37...

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 4399 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the heads up @cje85, wasn't aware of that, no idea what that youtuber that @Enigmo is talking about and probably more likely references connections issues or a local issue during peak time.
0 Kudos
justasking1992
On our wavelength
Message 4400 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@keasy wrote:

Why would your ping drop?

Surely you're being routed the same.

Are you comparing to your SH1?

Yes I am comparing to my SH1, my ping average is 100% lower compared to when I was using my SH1.. no idea why

0 Kudos