Menu
RidingTheFlow
Rising star
Message 3761 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 / Compal CH7465-LG (TG2492LG) and CGNV4 Latency Cause

@ShadowOfDeth69 wrote:
Sooooo... Has anyone done any gaming yet or are we just posting fancy graphs and numbers? I never had issues in the first place but due to believing a certain couple of desk chair latency/PUMA 6/router software engineer scientists (silly me) I got BT and canceled my VM as it made no sense spending £100 a month on two connections. A good gaming test if you have the new firmware would be a Call Of Duty game. Anyone? Smiley Happy

Even with best router ever, BT will be better strictly for online gaming than VM.

DOCSIS (internet-over-coaxial-tv-cable) will never be as good in terms of latency as xDSL (FTTC).

tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 3762 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@Guybrush85 wrote:

So far, things are looking good, but it's back to PingPlotter for better or worse!

I start with ICMP, given that we know this is fixed, it gives us a 'best case' scenario for TCP. (sorry, the information view was missing, I didn't realise when I screenshotted, but the latency timeline is there)

ICMP-Google-603.PNG

I then hit TCP, held onto the chair and click start. I set port to 80 and pointed again at google, this time using the 0.03 timing settings posted by Xymox:

TCP-Google-603-03seconds.PNG

As you can see the huge spikes are nowhere to be seen.

To make sure I wasn't just missing the spikes with my timings, I run it at 0.01

TCP-Google-603-01seconds.PNG

I'm not sure what else I can run, but as you can see, things look... well about as normal as they can be! Whilst the screenshot is of a 60 second period I looked at this over 10 minutes (yeah, I know it's short, but so is my time).

So... despite people posting round the forums stating that this would never be fixed as fact, it shows that Horseman's favourite saying 'absence of proof isn't proof of absence' seems to have prevailed, or at least looks that way.

I quickly scanned and I don't believe any personal data to be on the screenshots and I removed bits from iPerf, but let a mod know if I missed anything. 

Enjoy!

P.S. I'm yet to test the DoS on .603

So how come the silence from VM and no news on a wider rollout - e.g.  to people like me on 24 channels and limited to 200 in my area

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 3763 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@tonycv51 wrote:

So how come the silence from VM and no news on a wider rollout - e.g.  to people like me on 24 channels and limited to 200 in my area

The trials are still ongoing.

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 3764 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi wrote:

@tonycv51 wrote:

The trials are still ongoing.

So giving it to new and upgrading 350 customers is part of the trial ?

0 Kudos
astrohominis
On our wavelength
Message 3765 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Guys, forgive me if I'm going off on a small tangent here.

Basically with the 350 package getting the new firmware I'm thinking of upgrading. Other than being more bandwidth, and other than the firmware fix, is there a noticeable or measurable difference with the 350 vs say 100mbps,  in browsing speed or minimum latency (ping time)?

0 Kudos
philjohn
Fibre optic
Message 3766 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@astrohominis wrote:

Guys, forgive me if I'm going off on a small tangent here.

Basically with the 350 package getting the new firmware I'm thinking of upgrading. Other than being more bandwidth, and other than the firmware fix, is there a noticeable or measurable difference with the 350 vs say 100mbps,  in browsing speed or minimum latency (ping time)?

Zero difference near as damn it, sure, a massive page that has many megabytes of assets might load slightly quicker, but not enough to make a difference.

Likewise latency isn't a product of speed - you can have a very slow network with tiny latencies and a very fast network with massive latencies (shipping a hard drive full of data by foot for example).

The biggest benefit of Vivid 350, and why I upgraded, is that you get a faster upload speed - 20Mbps vs 12Mbps on Vivid 200. All of the computers in this house backup to backblaze and that's just faster and needs them on for less time with the faster upload speed.

Highlighted
WhyLieToUs
On our wavelength
Message 3767 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Doesnt look great does it with loads of yellow spikes? And its the new firmware! 350Mb service
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3768 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@WhyLieToUs wrote:
Doesnt look great does it with loads of yellow spikes? And its the new firmware! 350Mb service

There’s something else going on either in your circuit or on your node/segment.  The Puma 6 BQM profile is for sparser yellow and much flatter blue.  This BQM reflects traffic; for example several people doing overnight mega-downloads or uploads.  Yours might be a congested segment. Or their might be an impairment on your circuit though I doubt that - but possible.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

mitch84
Superfast
Message 3769 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@WhyLieToUs wrote:

You have another issue somewhere as that is not reflective of the latest .603 firmware.

Post up your power levels?

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 3770 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Has anyone out there not on 350 and not a trialist got the new firmware ?

0 Kudos