Menu
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 3561 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 / Compal CH7465-LG (TG2492LG) and CGNV4 Latency Cause

@Sephiroth wrote:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:162:0020:0026:ENSmiley TongueDF
... contains the definition of "terminal equipment" as applied to the piece of EU law referred to in the ISp Review article. The law can be found at:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32015R2120

And yes, "terminal equipment" means the kit that connects you to the Internet. Wonderful.

I'm not a lawyer but, the first article does state a couple of important things, firstly it states that "Member States shall ensure that economic operators have the right to import, market, connect, bring into service and maintain terminal equipment." in this instance VM would be the "economic operator" so they have the right to do these things and it also very specifically states further on "Public telecommunications network" the VM network isn't a "public" network its privately owned, privately operated and privately funded, in this case it would sound very much like this clause wouldn't even apply to VM with it being a private network they are free to impose restrictions on what can or cannot connect to their private network, considering this legislation dates back to atleast 2015 and one of the earlier articles it links to goes back to 2008, so this is hardly "new" and if it actually applied then it would have been brought up a long time ago

0 Kudos
cje85
Super solver
Message 3562 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

By public network it means a network that members of the public can access, as opposed to a private network such as a business intranet. It is not referring to publicly or privately owned.

eg. "To enable users to have access to the terminal equipment of their choice, it is necessary to know and make transparent the characteristics of the interface points of the public network to which the terminal equipment is to be connected."

0 Kudos
WhyLieToUs
On our wavelength
Message 3563 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@nallar wrote:

Congratulations to WhyLieToUs for escaping from the bounds of this forum thread.

2018-04-08 10_06_51-Re_ Hub 3 _ Compal CH7465-LG (TG2492LG) and CGNV4 ... - Page 353 - Virgin Media .pngthis should not happen

This DOES happen when you are using a POS SH3 :-(

Highlighted
nickking
On our wavelength
Message 3564 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Just had a major issue with the SH3 (firmware version BA3), had no internet so did a soft reset via the web interface followed by 3 or 4 hard resets.  Zero internet following each restart and the latency was through the roof so I had no option but to factory reset using the pin hole on the back of the SH3.

Anyway, 30 mins later I'm back online and now on firmware version 603, it's instantly noticeable the improvement, and webpages open so much faster.  I've not tried any online gaming as of yet so I'm unable to report on any improvements there.

0 Kudos
nickking
On our wavelength
Message 3565 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Kids are streaming YouTube via the V6, I'm using Plex streaming 4K content wirelessly and wife is using the slingbox to watch something on her iPad so not a great time to run a test...

25ms : x
26ms : xxx
27ms : xxxx
28ms : xxxxxxxxxx
29ms : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
30ms : xxxxxxxx
31ms : xxxxx
32ms : xxxxxxx
33ms : xxxxxxx
34ms : xxxx
35ms : xxxxx
36ms : xxxxxxx
37ms : x
38ms : x
39ms : xxx
40ms : x
41ms : x
42ms : xxx
43ms : x
45ms : xx
46ms : xx
47ms : xxx
48ms : xxx
49ms : x
50ms : x
51ms : xx
52ms : xxxx
53ms : xxxxxxxxx
54ms : xxxxxxxx
55ms : xxxxxxxxxx
56ms : xxxxxxxx
57ms : xxxx
58ms : xxxx
59ms : xxxx
60ms : xxxxxxx
61ms : xx
62ms : xxxxxx
63ms : xxxx
64ms : xxxxxx
65ms : x
66ms : xxxx
67ms : xx
68ms : xxx
69ms : xx
71ms : xxxx
72ms : x
79ms : x
80ms : x
82ms : x
87ms : x
100 - 149ms :x

Finished. Excess red is a concern if most measurements are 50ms or less.

0 Kudos
philjohn
Fibre optic
Message 3566 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

That looks promising

Have a look a couple of pages back at my instructions for running an iperf3 test against a public server to measure jitter over UDP, which will give us a clearer picture Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Guybrush85
Rising star
Message 3567 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@philjohn wrote:

That looks promising

Have a look a couple of pages back at my instructions for running an iperf3 test against a public server to measure jitter over UDP, which will give us a clearer picture Smiley Happy

All being well I will do this tonight, I need to get Entware back on my router and I'll run it.

--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey
0 Kudos
SwindonGamer
Joining in
Message 3568 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

HI all. Been upgraded from the Tivo box and Superhub 2ac to the V6 Box and Superhub 3 router as of mid February. We didn't even mean too, we called VM to get reduced package costs (Which was successful, went from £130 to £90 a month!) but they flogged us this new kit for free and boosted our broadband to 200mb. Wow, ever since we've upgraded gaming is IMPOSSIBLE. Literally. Constant lag every minute or so in the game lasting between 10-30 seconds, most of the time just completely kicking me/timing out. Its like this on all consoles. Streaming just constantly buffers too. Even doing the basics like browsing social media and the web on our phones, the wifi just crashes every minute or so for a few seconds.

This seems to be a problem for THOUSANDS of customers and from what I've read its a known problem with the router. What baffles me is the arrogance of VM, continuing to roll our poor equipment and being in completely denial that there is a problem and some people have had this for over a year it seems. 

Without reading through hundreds of pages and thousands of comments, does anyone have definitive info on when this will be fixed or able to give basic technical advice on how to fix this? Will using the 'Super'hub as a modem and buying a good router solve any problems?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks all.

Badvok
Dialled in
Message 3569 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@SwindonGamer wrote:

HI all. Been upgraded from the Tivo box and Superhub 2ac to the V6 Box and Superhub 3 router as of mid February. We didn't even mean too, we called VM to get reduced package costs (Which was successful, went from £130 to £90 a month!) but they flogged us this new kit for free and boosted our broadband to 200mb. Wow, ever since we've upgraded gaming is IMPOSSIBLE. Literally. Constant lag every minute or so in the game lasting between 10-30 seconds, most of the time just completely kicking me/timing out. Its like this on all consoles. Streaming just constantly buffers too. Even doing the basics like browsing social media and the web on our phones, the wifi just crashes every minute or so for a few seconds.

This seems to be a problem for THOUSANDS of customers and from what I've read its a known problem with the router. What baffles me is the arrogance of VM, continuing to roll our poor equipment and being in completely denial that there is a problem and some people have had this for over a year it seems. 

Without reading through hundreds of pages and thousands of comments, does anyone have definitive info on when this will be fixed or able to give basic technical advice on how to fix this? Will using the 'Super'hub as a modem and buying a good router solve any problems?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks all.

From your description it does not appear that you are experiencing issues associated with this thread. You should raise a separate thread to get an engineer out to sort out your problems.

It should also be noted that those experiencing SH3/Puma 6 issues and complaining on here number maybe in the hundreds, definitely not thousands. Statistical extrapolation of the number of complaints could possibly show the issues affecting thousands but it would not be valid to do so.

0 Kudos
lynxblaine
Tuning in
Message 3570 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

It would seem to me like your issue is moreso a problem with the Hub3 itself, the issue people are facing on here is lag spikes every 2 minutes or so, not issues buffering or with wifi dropping. 

0 Kudos