Menu
Andruser
Well-informed
Message 3551 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 / Compal CH7465-LG (TG2492LG) and CGNV4 Latency Cause

"Obviously we'll be out of the EU this time next year so if ISPs can stall things for long enough it will no longer apply to the UK, but in the meantime Ofcom are investigating the issue. "

The general tone of the UK government and Ofcom has been that they will continue to follow a similar path.  The problem is that in or out of the EU, Ofcom are utterly clueless in all matters of consumer interest, and totally beholden to and bewildered by the industry they are supposed to regulate.

I'd suggest that on a cable network the "terminal equipment" has to be the modem, not the router, since you need a modem, you don't need a router even though most of us find one very useful.  So it seems obvious that VM's refusal to allow customers choice of modem is in breach of the rules, and all Ofcom can do is dither (although being clueless maybe nobody has reported it to them?).  I suppose one way forward is for anybody who has asked and been refused connection of a third party modem to complain to Ofcom that VM are in clear and absolute breach of this regulation, and request details on the steps they propose to take to force VM to comply?

I suspect you're right that Vermin Media would drag their heels, demand months and months of "testing", doing anything they can to avoid admitting what we all already know - that the Hub 3 is a cheap bag of crap, unfit for purpose.  

Highlighted
Springer1
Dialled in
Message 3552 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

"I suspect you're right that Vermin Media would drag their heels, demand months and months of "testing", doing anything they can to avoid admitting what we all already know - that the Hub 3 is a cheap bag of crap, unfit for purpose.  "

Yes but without the Hub3 the forum would barely exist, engineers and forum teams jobs would be at risk, sales of proper routers would plummit  ..................well you have to consider all angles LOL

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3553 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:162:0020:0026:ENSmiley TongueDF
... contains the definition of "terminal equipment" as applied to the piece of EU law referred to in the ISp Review article. The law can be found at:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32015R2120

And yes, "terminal equipment" means the kit that connects you to the Internet. Wonderful.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Mike1982X
On our wavelength
Message 3554 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

We should not have voted to leave the EU.

0 Kudos
Springer1
Dialled in
Message 3555 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

We should not have voted to leave the EU.

Quite correct and if more people where aware that a stay vote would have helped to get rid of the hub3 we could have had a different result lol

0 Kudos
jonathanm
Up to speed
Message 3556 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Whether better, worse or indifferent, a friend of mine with FTTP was also complaining that they were stuck with the modem equivalent for fibre terminating the line at their house. The main point being there are other providers which do not offer a choice of terminating equipment.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Well-informed
Message 3557 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

"We should not have voted to leave the EU.....Quite correct "

Clearly you think that.  But as somebody whose job has involved them in policy making circles, I can assure you that most of the push for anything in the EU that required consumer or competition focus was heavily influenced by the UK.  Personally I'm well pleased that people voted out (although I'm sure one area we can agree on is that the bungling amateurs of our government will not manage the process at all well).

Feel free to respond, but let's leave it there.  We don't want to descend into the living hell of political debate round here.

0 Kudos
Springer1
Dialled in
Message 3558 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Light hearted comment. "smile"

Quite right, don't want politics here as well as all the other grief. lol

0 Kudos
philjohn
Fibre optic
Message 3559 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

That's a bit different - it's bloomin' hard to screw up an ONT (the thing the fibre comes into, and ethernet comes out of), and it's just that, an equivalent to a modem rather than a router.

DOCSIS on the other hand is rather more complex, because cable wasn't designed to carry ultrafast broadband when first conceived.

0 Kudos
jonathanm
Up to speed
Message 3560 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

It may well be hard to screw up & never happen, and the virgin Hub 3 might well be at the extreme end of a dogs dinner, but it's not the only example of having to use a particular bit of equipment from a particular manufacturer was all I was trying to say.

0 Kudos