Menu
RidingTheFlow
Rising star
Message 1321 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 / Compal CH7465-LG (TG2492LG) and CGNV4 Latency Cause

Another possibility, as xymox suggested, is that trial already happened - and results were unsatisfactory, so now back to drawing board for Intel.

0 Kudos
Guybrush85
Rising star
Message 1322 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@RidingTheFlow wrote:

Another possibility, as xymox suggested, is that trial already happened - and results were unsatisfactory, so now back to drawing board for Intel.

VM have not done any trials with the hub 3 in regards to this patch as of yet.

Remember we are at a completely different stage to ISP's in the US, so we have yet to roll-out some form of the 93V patch onto the hub 3, whereas the Hitron has got it, so that's most likely what's due to be tested and 'believed' to be a fix.

--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey
0 Kudos
RidingTheFlow
Rising star
Message 1323 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Firmware updates are not incremental, so they easily could skip over any number of revisions (especially ones they don't believe provide enough benefit or already obsolete).
"trial" may mean a lot of things, for example wide public trial usually preceded by limited internal trial - and public trial does not happen if it failed internal one already. Unless you have a source confirming that no form of internal trial did happen...
0 Kudos
Guybrush85
Rising star
Message 1324 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@RidingTheFlow wrote:
Firmware updates are not incremental, so they easily could skip over any number of revisions (especially ones they don't believe provide enough benefit or already obsolete).
"trial" may mean a lot of things, for example wide public trial usually preceded by limited internal trial - and public trial does not happen if it failed internal one already. Unless you have a source confirming that no form of internal trial did happen...

That would mean that Virgin have managed to provide a firmware that no other ISP globally have produced or have indicated is to be produced in the near future. Call me cynical, but it seems very unlikely.

Judging by how VM handle the trials previously, we are the guinea pigs for these trials. When new hardware is out and firmware is alpha stages, this has gone to superusers first, who again are apart of no on going trials, unless something has changed in last week.

--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1325 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@Guybrush85 wrote:
....... When new hardware is out and firmware is alpha stages, this has gone to superusers first, who again are apart of no on going trials, unless something has changed in last week.

I should point out that absence of proof is not proof of absence!  Smiley Tongue  

Forum Management/Trials Coordinator do not always invite ALL SU's to ALL H/W and/or S/W Trials (which have already gone thru Lab alpha and Internal Beta's )and typically will not even publish exact details until those SU's willing to participate have agreed not to even publically acknowledge any participation in trial until some period of time has elapsed and further subsequent pilot trials to community have often commenced.   Even when follow on pilot trials have been ongoing for 6 months and longer then one valuable contributor lost his SU AND Trial membership late in 2016 for disclosing information on firmware version that was already being rolled out to pilot and general release community members!     

So just like rest of community we're just "mushroom" testing although we all try to be "fun guys" despite the constant deluge of fertilisation from all parts of the community!  Smiley Tongue

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Saginata
Tuning in
Message 1326 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

The houseshare I'm in has a Superhub 2 (not my account, can't take it with me). I'm moving out and got a SH3 at the new place. I'm getting the bad pings. I'm still in my 14 day cooling-off period. 

Online chat didn't help. The guy did the standard "your connection looks fine to me, have you tried turning it off and on?". I then phoned them up, told them I'd like to leave. The girl said she games on the SH3 with no problems and redirected me to a tech support guy, who seemed to be aware of the issue. First he suggested going into modem mode, but then he agreed to send me a SH2. He said he had to work around the system a bit, but I should receive it in a few days. 

What are the chances I'll just get another SH3? If I do, I guess I can keep pushing, but not sure if it's worth it when I can just get out easily. 

0 Kudos
Drewley
Up to speed
Message 1327 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@Saginata

Most likely you will receive another SH3. Same happened to me.

Highlighted
JJC1138
On our wavelength
Message 1328 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@Saginata wrote:

The houseshare I'm in has a Superhub 2 (not my account, can't take it with me). I'm moving out and got a SH3 at the new place. I'm getting the bad pings. I'm still in my 14 day cooling-off period. 

I was in a similar position: I was in the cooling-off period and noticed the bad pings and found this thread and read up about everything, and it looked like a firmware fix was coming soon so I decided to wait a little bit rather than cancel. That was in December, and we're still in exactly the same boat now and there's no evidence from anywhere that the problem is fixable with new firmware, and people's success in getting a SH2 has been very mixed, so you can probably guess what my advice would be now.

WildWayz
Up to speed
Message 1329 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

I've offered numerous times to Virgin to assist them with firmware testing.

I've been responsible for firmware and router testing for the last 10 years for another ISP, so know what I am doing. Alas, they won't even reply.

Oh well...

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 1330 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@horseman wrote:

I should point out that absence of proof is not proof of absence!  Smiley Tongue

Very true where VM are concerned  !!

one valuable contributor lost his SU AND Trial membership late in 2016 for disclosing information on firmware version that was already being rolled out to pilot and general release community members!

I couldn't believe that one either, as you say a VERY valuable SU indeed horsey !!

0 Kudos