Menu
mobculture
On our wavelength
Message 1211 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 / Compal CH7465-LG (TG2492LG) and CGNV4 Latency Cause

I think it was new. The engineer told me that they had just received new stock of SH2 on Tuesday, but didn't know why!

I should add that I tried buying one from eBay a couple of months ago and adding that, but they told me I couldn't do it. Luckily, I got a refund!
0 Kudos
Guybrush85
Rising star
Message 1212 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@mobculture wrote:
I think it was new. The engineer told me that they had just received new stock of SH2 on Tuesday, but didn't know why!

I should add that I tried buying one from eBay a couple of months ago and adding that, but they told me I couldn't do it. Luckily, I got a refund!

Yeah, that's what I thought, although I'm sure it will be a 2ac?

Anyway, back to the original thought, don't buy one 2nd hand as they can't activate it. 

--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey
0 Kudos
RidingTheFlow
Rising star
Message 1213 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@mobculture wrote:

Well, so somebody is lying, obviously. Either ones who claim there is no new SH2 and there never will be, or ones who claim otherwise Smiley Wink

Maybe they've recently decided to actually buy some SH2 to give to people who complain, who knows. As usual, total informational blackout and clueless staff does not improve the situation.

0 Kudos
Drewley
Up to speed
Message 1214 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

I wonder if they had a new batch of SH2ACs made..

0 Kudos
Guybrush85
Rising star
Message 1215 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

I don't think it's lying per say and I don't think they had a new batch made up. It's probably just low amounts of stock and not like stockpiled up in the usual places so took someone high up the chain to get it into the correct hands.

What I can say is the person I spoke to I know well so if he's saying he can't activate a used modem, then he can't. 

0 Kudos
RidingTheFlow
Rising star
Message 1216 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@Guybrush85 wrote:

What I can say is the person I spoke to I know well so if he's saying he can't activate a used modem, then he can't. 

Well, I also spoke to person who know well (just a week ago), I was assured that there will never be a new SH2, and haven't been for ages - "manufacturing contract long ended".

That they speak coherently and/or hold high position does not mean they are telling the truth or have correct information (but for people of high position I'd say second is unlikely).

I also was told for some very qualified people that it will be impossible to activate a new SH2 if it was just lying in storage for very long time.

By "can't activate a used modem" they always mean "not allowed to". Not *technically impossible* - yes, its impossible for *some* staff, but there is staff who can just override the system, if ordered to.

Guybrush85
Rising star
Message 1217 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@RidingTheFlow wrote:

@Guybrush85 wrote:

Well, I also spoke to person who know well (just a week ago), I was assured that there will never be a new SH2, and haven't been for ages - "manufacturing contract long ended".

That they speak coherently and/or hold high position does not mean they are telling the truth or have correct information (but for people of high position I'd say second is unlikely).

I also was told for some very qualified people that it will be impossible to activate a new SH2 if it was just lying in storage for very long time.

By "can't activate a used modem" they always mean "not allowed to". Not *technically impossible* - yes, its impossible for *some* staff, but there is staff who can just override the system, if ordered to.

And I'm not debating that, I'm saying that someone in the job that would do this kind of thing day in and day out, who is what the system will send out, can't do it, both from it not allowing him from a system level and being told the company line on it.

So unless you have some way of getting to person X that 'may' have the power to do this, then you're stuffed. As of yet, nobody has managed to get a used modem re-added that I've seen, so there's no point in postulating about it. 

The only thing we can say is that a few people have managed to get hold of a new modem and get it added. How they got it and how they got it added is not something we're likely to find out.

0 Kudos
RidingTheFlow
Rising star
Message 1218 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

@Guybrush85 wrote:

So unless you have some way of getting to person X that 'may' have the power to do this, then you're stuffed.

This pretty much summarises the whole situation, regardless of how you are trying to get SH2 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
astrohominis
On our wavelength
Message 1219 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

To me, it seems quite likely that the distribution of people upgrading to SH3's that don't care about this latency issues, is greater than those that do.

If we accept this premise, then it seems there ought to be a surplus of now unused used SH2's existing out there in the wild. (eBay evidence would seem to support this hypothesis)

If that's the case, then a possibly cheap solution would be to

1) Start up a refurbishment program to incentivize users to send the old SH2's back to VM. (possibly even with a small reward eg £10 credit)

2) Send these refurbished SH2's to customers that actively complain.

3) Focus on ensuring SH4 is fast tracked for production and tested to be latency-bug free to prevent a re-occurrence.

Of course, given that it's likely a sensible solution (in my not so humble opinion), it's also almost guaranteed not to happen Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
JJC1138
On our wavelength
Message 1220 of 4,479
Flag for a moderator

I got my price increase letter today and cancelled my account. In short: it was 25 minutes on the phone, and cancellations haven't been told about the SH3 issue, but here's the details of what happened in case anyone is interested:

Letter came in the post (not email). Big Virgin Media logo and "Your monthly bill is changing" on the front so it's hard to miss.

It says my bill is going up £2.99 per month from 1st November (I'm on VIVID Gamer 200). The letter has a whole spiel about how great they are, including "You're with the gaming champions" 🙄 and at the bottom says "We hope you want to carry on enjoying all this with us. But if not, don't worry — you can change or cancel your package at any time before 30th September 2017 without paying any cancellation charges. Just visit virginmedia.com/discovergamer for more information."

As you can see, that page has more spiel ("You’ve got game-changing broadband" — that one's certainly true), and an 0800 phone number to call to cancel.

That seems to just connect to the normal customer services phone system so you have a few menu options to go through, and you're asked to enter the numbers corresponding to three letters from your phone password (I had to scramble to find that).

Then "we're busier than usual so there might be a wait of up to ten minutes", pop hold music (yes, yes, you are beautiful and powerful Robbie Williams) for 10 minutes and then a person asks how they can help you.

I said I want to cancel because of the price rise. He asked if there was anything he could help with. I said no, I'm unhappy with the service so definitely want to cancel. He says he'll put me through to cancellations. 30 seconds on hold and he comes back to say they're busy so there'll be a wait of around 10 minutes and do I want to wait. I say yes.

10 minute wait, same hold music playlist

Guy answered; asks how he can help. I say I'm unhappy with the service and I'd like to use the price rise to cancel my contract. He asks why I'm unhappy. I brace myself and say "have you heard about the latency problem with the Super Hub 3 that causes problems with gaming?" and he says no, and he's actually a PC gamer and doesn't have any problems with latency and asks for more details (I wonder if the system was smart enough to put me through to someone who knows about gaming because I'm on the gamer service, or if that was just luck?). So I told him that there's a latency spike of a couple hundred milliseconds every 2 seconds. He says he gets good pings on Counter-Strike and he's on a Super Hub 3. I try and give a bit more detail about how it can be hard to notice because your average ping can still be good despite the spikes, and tell him there's a long forum thread about it. He was still a bit dismissive about it (no ill will towards him, he's just doing his job trying to keep the account) and suggested I talk to tech support, but he put through my cancellation.

The cancellation date is 10th September so exactly 30 days from now. Apparently my next bill payment will go out as usual and then two days after cancellation I'll get a final bill with a pro-rated refund for the part of my next payment that isn't used.

So that's that. I signed up with another ISP online while I was on hold.

Sorry this post is so long, but if I can just say one more thing: The guy on the phone mentioned that he hasn't played Counter-Strike for a bit because it's stressful because of cheaters and incompetent players. And that made me think that I bet there are millions of gaming VM customers who don't know about this latency issue, because it's so odd and easy to miss with normal performance measurements, but who are just finding that online gaming isn't as fun as it used to be, and attributing it to cheaters or that they're not as good as they used to be or whatever. And that's really sad, I think.