Menu
konstan
Joining in
Message 31 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to put PS4 in DMZ?

@

Thanks for the reply and explanations, I think I understand now.

So the DMZ allows inbound connections from the internet.

Then if someone from the internet tried to connect to 5353 they would be forwarded to 65535 where the packets would be dropped.

I have the 2ac router so i assume my start port would be 5353 and end port 65535.

Also is having mdns reachable from the internet a threat because it can show an attacker what is on your internal network?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 32 of 35
Flag for a moderator

The 2ac won't let you forward to a different port so forward port 5353 to an IP that's not used on the network instead.  I suggest 192.168.0.253

MDNS can do more than that, by spoofing the return address (possible as mDNS uses UDP rather than TCP/IP) they can co-opt your PS4 into being part of a DDOS attack against a poor unsuspecting individual.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Gwalker124
On our wavelength
Message 33 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hi I am using the super hub 2 trying to follow your tutorial but when it comes to the port forwarding I am bit confused as I don’t have an internal and external start port. I just have one showing on the screen.  Do I need to set up two one for 65535 and 5353?

my nat type on COD is still showing moderate I was hoping doing this would make it open.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 34 of 35
Flag for a moderator

On the earlier hubs the external and internal port numbers are automatically identical so the trick I use has to be modified slightly.

You only need one port forwarding rule and that is port 5353 and you set that to go to an IP address that is NOT in use e.g. 192.168.0.254

The reason for the rule is to ensure that requests from the Internet to port 5353 are dropped quietly, as the PS4 responds to these requests when it shouldn't meaning that your PS4 can be used by hackers to take part in a DDOS attack without your knowledge.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Gwalker124
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Nice one thanks I’ll give that a try. 

0 Kudos