cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is Gaming Performance Currently (July21) BR4 (Area 20?)

earthworm48
Tuning in

Hi All,

We've just upgraded our home network and router setup and were looking for an internet service to make use of it. We are currently with Zen who have been great but we can only get up to 67Mb, and looking up when we might get Hyperoptic or Openreach FTTP and its looking like at least 4 years away.

As part of looking I noticed Virgin offer 1Gbps to our area. Now I had Virgin once before in 2011 and it was terrible, speeds were unusable 90% of the time there was terrible jitter etc. I asked if this had improved in 2016 and people said it was just the same. My Wife had Virgin in her old home in North London and it was fine so I was wondering if it is still terrible in the BR4/Bromley area? If it was ok now I was tempted to try the Virgin 1Gb service but thought it best to ask in case they still haven't fixed the same old issues... a slower but more reliable connection is better than one that can only work as expected for 5 mins a day!

Thanks for any advice on this.

16 REPLIES 16

Astralx
Joining in

Its happening on my end too here in area 20 since monday 😞 just want to know if its actually the area not some fault in my router or Pc. ive been seeing that some people's issues didnt get resolved for months! 😞

Router status.jpg

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for keeping us updated @madgeman. I've taken a look and the area issue identified previously is now deemed to be resolved, I can see there may be some issues with the downstream power levels still, so it's probably best we arrange a tech-visit at this stage so everything can be corrected. Just look out for my PM and get back to me when you can.

@Astralx. sorry to hear you've also been having some connection issues. Looking into it today I can see there is currently a known area fault (ef.# F009468708) which is estimated to be resolved by the 29th November - if you're still having issues at that point please let us know so we can check for another update/take further action if needed. 

Tom 

Are there still issues in the area and with overutilisation? Is there anyway to check on overutilisation in the area these days? Still interested as openreach FTTP and hyper optic are YEARS away - our area isn’t even on schedule despite people just doing the road having an estimated year of install. I would be hoping virgin was better after 11 years….

Are there still utilisation issues in the area now in 2022?

Yes, still high avg latency and lots of packet loss

Wow really?! Can’t believe this is still an issue after over a decade I don’t understand how they retain customers in this area!

Only fttp vendor in town - I’m in BR1, bt offer me 25mb download. As soon as I have a choice I’m off