cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High ping

Jipinp
Joining in

I got 20 ms when I I do speed test . It should be less than 10 as I am the only user .. I pay  £62 a month and it’s affecting my gaming experience 

3DF0B1C0-1371-4719-96A4-7190EA5A6E24.png

 it never go lower than 16 .. unstable very poor for gaming ..

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

this is what I get 10ms is asking a lot for Docsis and VM network if you ping the WAN gateway you should get 6-8ms

---------------------------------------------------------------

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Jipinp wrote:

I got 20 ms when I I do speed test . It should be less than 10 as I am the only user .. I pay  £62 a month and it’s affecting my gaming experience 

3DF0B1C0-1371-4719-96A4-7190EA5A6E24.png

 it never go lower than 16 .. unstable very poor for gaming ..

Not on VM's DOCSIS network you won't!

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Jipinp, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the ping you are experiencing 😞
I've had a look on my end and I can't see any issues with the connection or the network long term.
Are you able to hard reset the Virgin Media hub for me please? Pop a pin in the reset pin hole, located at the back of the hub / underneath the hub, for 40 seconds.
Let us know how the connection is after.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

16-20ms is not the problem.  Your total response time from a screen change to a click getting back to the server is around 250ms (or 400+ms if you have to move the mouse), and I don't believe anybody would be able to see or demonstrate a difference between 10 or 20ms ping.

The problem is that when things aren't perfect on a DOCSIS cable connection then the first thing that goes is often latency - not the minimum or even average values, it's any peaks that you'll notice.  Setup a BQM, post a link to a shared graph and we can comment.