cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High ping, jitter and packet loss - Area 20

Onemarshboy
Tuning in

Hi all,

I have been experiencing extremely frequent and high latency and packet loss over the last few weeks. This is causing (I’m assuming) frequent internet blips (where devices disconnect/reconnect) and most frustratingly, terrible lag in online games. 

My setup is:

VM Superhub 3.0 in modem mode with Netgear Orbi Router (and 2 satellites). 
PS4 is wired into the Orbi. 

Have tried using the Superhub in Router mode and the issues remain the same. 

Any help would be much appreciated. Seriously tempted to ditch VM if I can’t resolve the issue!!

Happy to provide any further information needed.

cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey all,

The problem in area 20 is down to network congestion in an oversubscribed area, this has been confirmed a number of times by engineers, my own post and others.

The problem started around the 26th of March and has a estimated fix date for the 6th of May, from what i have been told if they have to reschedule the fix date again we can then leave VM with no early contract leave charge.

The services from VM in the area 20 are appalling standards making online gaming impossible and all we can do is wait for the 6th for a fix. The Fault number for our area is F007906086.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

27 REPLIES 27

CiaranGarden
Tuning in

Area 20 here too. Had the same problem for the last few months. All online games are unplayable currently, and VM haven't done anything to rectify the issue

It’s seriously painful! Paying 1st rate charges and getting 2nd rate service! 

If it’s caused by lockdown linked surges in demand then say that and let us know if/when we can expect resumption of a stable service. Otherwise, I’m off to any other provider that locals recommend. 

tomfrancis3
Settling in

I'm getting the same in area 20.

This only started in the past few days since their planned outage but my ping is spiking all over the place.  I'm trying to work from home but it keeps cutting out.

It sounds like this is a widespread issue.  Virgin Media can you confirm?  I tried to call your planned outage team but the call centre is closed and it directed me towards this site.

Hey all,

The problem in area 20 is down to network congestion in an oversubscribed area, this has been confirmed a number of times by engineers, my own post and others.

The problem started around the 26th of March and has a estimated fix date for the 6th of May, from what i have been told if they have to reschedule the fix date again we can then leave VM with no early contract leave charge.

The services from VM in the area 20 are appalling standards making online gaming impossible and all we can do is wait for the 6th for a fix. The Fault number for our area is F007906086.

Hi bubosh1, thanks for this. Helpful and confirms my suspicions to be honest. 

VM - Any news on a refund for the dreadful services whilst we await the fix??!!

Harry_C
On our wavelength

Just want to add that i have the same fault in thesame area (area 20). been going on since end of march, hoping its fixed by 6th.

Will be switching to another provider for a while otherwise. i dont want to switch because openreach services in my arera are around 20mb, but i'd rather have stable slower net than something thats just straight up unsuable for me

Absolutely. I’m a ‘high’ user, as most people are these days (cameras, speakers, hue lights, echo’s) etc but the number one priority is a stable connection 

200mbps is all well and good (if/when you get it) but with unacceptably high latency and loss, it’s utterly pointless. 

I play Call of Duty with mates who are getting 15mbps download and have a rock solid connection. I’m recording anything from 100-200mbps and am lagging all over the place. Joke. 

Improved for you at all yet? still the same issue, actually been far worse today according to my broadband monitor.

Going to give it untill next monday and then start the process of moving to another provider i think. I feel i've been fair to Virgin by being patient for way longer than usual given the current climate. But it seems they are also just waiting themselves for the issue to 'fix' naturally as people begin to go back to work and thats just not on. 

Still pretty rubbish to be honest. Yesterday was ok for me (actually managed to play relatively lag free for a couple of hours yesterday evening) but other than that, no, it’s been poor. 

Looking at the stats I’m seeing now, I won’t even bother trying to play today, it’ll just be too frustrating. 

Agreed. From what I’ve read, that don’t seem to have any desire to fix the issue.