cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High ping and lag

julie2017
Joining in

Since yesterday I'm unable to play xbox because my speed/ping keeps going high. I'm normally between 20-30 but now it's 20-100+. 

I have two xbox's hardwired in the house upstairs and we both keep getting high ping all of a sudden. I have taken the hardwire out but the connection is worse with 50+ ping and 99 strength signal to router.

I have reset the router/unplugged everything and checked if connections are tight. Still nothing is working right.

For a ages we have struggled to get strong signal downstairs using WiFi on our phones and TV also.

I currently have no pc to alter the settings only have mobile phone. 

I'm not tech savvy so bare with me. 

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly leave the consoles wired in, wifi is not good for latency.

Post the power levels and network log from the Hub.  Also setup a BQM to record the state  of your incoming circuit  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

Lastly try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as it may be a small area fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I don't have a PC to hardwire  to get results it's broken atm I only have a phone and that will give me WiFi readings. 

Sorry I'm not very clever with technology so bare with me.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Nothing wrong with your stats at the moment.

Have you tried running a wifi scanner on your property?  There are several on the Play Store, and for iOS use Airport Utility. 

You could also split the Wifi SSID as below;

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Could it be I need to upgrade my package?

I have 100mb with 11 devices connected. I game and watch Netflix in 4k (can't watch netflix downstairs though it buffers) my router is upstairs.

Would upgrading improve my ping and signal strength downstairs?

Thanks for trying to help.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do NOT upgrade until your circuit is working. That’s just going to increase your payments for the same poor line. 

Used the WiFi scanner and I get 1 star on both 2.4 and 5. Even if I change channel the star will dropped to 1 straight away. Had this before and never found a solution to fix it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What scanner are you using and is it Android? 

Wifi Analyzer and yes android