cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency/ping spikes Part 2

Spandecks
Tuning in

Once again I am forced on the forum for help, I had this ongoing issue a while ago (I have a archived post https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/High-latency-spikes-Games-unplayable/td-p/4185790)

This eventually smoothed over but recently its started acting up again and I dont fancy sitting on the phone for 2 hours just for a operator to read me the same old script. Is there anyone on here who would be so kind as to book me an engineer visit please?

I would rather not leave Virgin as the only other option is 20MB BT but I cant take the latency anymore, gaming is impossible.

For reference:

I am on a wired ethernet connection, and I've rebooted and reset to factory settings without success many times. I have also checked all wiring and made sure its secure and tight, so its down to utilisation in the area or there is fault with my box outside.

24 REPLIES 24

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Setup a BQM to monitor your incoming circuit.  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping   Once setup and running for 24 hours, post the shared link for comments.

Also post your power levels and network log from the Hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Spandecks_0-1642281338635.png

A typical night these days.

Spandecks_1-1642281431850.png

Spandecks_2-1642281454007.pngSpandecks_3-1642281466288.pngSpandecks_4-1642281476443.pngSpandecks_5-1642281493062.pngSpandecks_6-1642281505253.pngSpandecks_7-1642281505359.png

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/79188eadcf5e07e86950f1df6d18fd47489dc6b4-16-01-2022

Spandecks_0-1642329930669.png

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That's one terrible BQM, showing what I think is over utilisation.  Not much you can do as your stats look okay from what I can see.  You can only complain to VM and see if they have any maintenance work going on that might be causing this fault, just in case it's not over utilisation.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Its been happening again for about a fortnight, when I do the area check online I get this....

Spandecks_0-1642345324670.png

Which has been saying that for a while now, but is not related to my issue.

Spandecks_0-1642438846570.png

If I call them, I will be forced to sit on hold for a very long time just to be put through to someone who is only interested in reading the script and doesnt understand what I am talking about. When I had this issue before and I called them regarding it the guy on the other end basically told me there was nothing wrong with my connection because my speeds looked good. He had no idea what I was talking about and refused to call an engineer.

Thanks for coming back to us here @Spandecks and sorry for the ongoing issues.

I have looked into the local area near you and can see that there is some congestion in the area that can be causing the issues that you're having. I will be raising this with the networks team to be looked into further and I will let you know, once I have a further update from them.

Regards,

Steven_L

Thank you Steven, what could potentially be done about it? Cant exactly cut people off to lower congestion..

That engineer visit will be a total waste of time. Your levels are all a-ok.

Even if he agrees its over utilization he will not be in a position to do much about it.

I had many of mine agreeing thats the problem, they made various phone calls to "head end".

Nothing ever happened until virgin were just so sick of hearing from me they increased capacity in the area.

This gave me 6 months of a solid connection. As you can see from my bqm its all started going wrong again.

They simply do not care about anything but the minimum download speed that they guarantee.

All they could do (but wont) is set up a automated sam knows test.

This would run a sam knows speed test every hour to your router.

IF your speed are not up to snuff they MAY do something about it.