Menu
Gulland10
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

High latency gaming

I pay for the 350mb package and some days my speeds are around 450 and latency around 25 but then a lot of the time it’s still showing the good speeds but latency goes right upto 160 and it’s virtually impossible to game? How will this be fixed.. 

RedGooner
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency gaming

Wired or WIFI

If SH3, do a PUMA 6 Test and post results here.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Gulland10
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The latency is usually around 25-35 I play on wired connection cat 8 Ethernet directly into the router. But as of late it’s been randomly flying upto 160 but I see a lot of people with VM have the same issue? 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A very probable cause is upstream over-utilisation.  Guidance below if you want to check, but if it is there's nothing VM can or will do about it, and your options are to tolerate in the expectation it'll resolve when lockdown ends (and schools/offices return), or to find yourself a new ISP, subject to do the appropriate checks.

Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can do that immediately.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Adam_221
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Have the same problem. Today latency going up to 170 in game(PoE) and fall down. Using wire, tested everything.

Area 30

Yesterday got some email, from Virgin upgrade wi-fi:

"We’ve built on the original Intelligent WiFi tech to make sure your gadgets are on the right frequency they need to do their thing. The new update looks at your WiFi use over the past few days at different times of the day to make sure everything’s in tip-top shape. This means a faster and even more reliable WiFi connection, especially if your devices move around a lot."

Somthing is fixed, somthing broken.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Gulland10
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks mate I received the same email also. You think they will resolve the problem any time soon? 

0 Kudos
Adam_221
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin solving pproblems quick, but is difficutl to raport it. My service status looking good ... don't know they check latency. Captured now below.

Latency.JPG

0 Kudos