cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High jitter and ping spikes

Jon1984
Joining in

I’m getting high jitter. I get periodic spikes all the time and get disconnected from games and baby monitor camera all the time. All my devices whether they are over Wi-Fi or connected by Ethernet directly to the modem disconnect or buffer all the time 

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

Post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub. Also setup a BQM to monitor your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Jon1984,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear you've been having some issues with your broadband service.

I've taken a look at our systems and can see your downstream signal levels are out of spec so we will need to get a tech booked for you. 

Will pop you a PM now to confirm some details first. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope icon in the top right hand corner of your page for my message 🙂

Speak soon! 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming the requested details via PM @Jon1984
I've booked a technician for you to come out and have a look into the issue with your broadband. You can find confirmation of the visit via your online account.

Please let me know if there are any problems with the date or time and I can look to reschedule this for you. In regards to the appointment there are some details you need to know about. There will be no charge for this visit unless:

•The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can also do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Let us know how the visit goes!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Engineer has been out he said everything is ok that nothing was wrong and it was normal for everything to disconnect and buffer it just happens. He said the only thing he could do for us was change the modem if we wanted so he did that. Any idea where to go from here?

Hey there @Jon1984, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the broadband issues you've been having recently.
I've had a look on the system and can see that there is no fault appearing.

However, it does indicate that the Wi-Fi may be congested which would cause devices to drop out.
May I ask how many devices you have connected to the Wi-Fi? Let us know.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

I’ve got about 12 devices in my house that use the Wi-Fi but we probably only have about 4 or 5 that are being used at the same time. We also are having the same problem with our devices that are connected directly to the modem with Ethernet 

Thank you for confirming @Jon1984

When the devices drop do they drop all at the same time or is it intermittent across devices? 

Did the engineer advise on what to do if the issues continued? 

Thank you

My devices sometimes drop at the same time and just 1 of them can. The engineer said everything was ok and it was normal for this to happen 

Hey there @Jon1984, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear the issue is still on-going.
After inspecting the profile I can see it does show issues with the Wi-Fi side of things on my end.

Can I ask if the Wi-Fi pod is located in an area to which it can still connect to the VM Hub?
As that is needed so that it can boost the range for connectivity for the affected area.

Let us know.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team