cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Ping on Hell Let Loose (PC).

aphex187
On our wavelength

Hi guys,

When joining a UK/EU and the server is around half capacity say 30 players my ping sits around 56. As soon as the server fills up to a 100 my ping shoots up from 88 to 100 and will fluctuate around those and will not drop below. I tried CS Source and my ping was A OK on that with me hitting around 18 but again the player count on those types of servers is real low compared to something like HLL.

I'm running a wired connection from a Hub 4 on a Gig1 connection.

P.S. also seeing dropouts on my wifi soundbar and I'm also seeing streaming lose quality from time to time when watching films.

Cheers for any help on this matter 🙂

20 REPLIES 20

So, I have finally found out the problem! From a post on Steam:

"Your in game "ping" is more akin to Round Trip Time (RTT) and includes the frame time (how long it takes to simulate one time step of the environment) of the server and probably some client processing time too. Thus if the tick rate of the server (like mid to late game when it drops into the single digits ~100ms/10FPS) or your FPS is low, this value will increase substantially.

Probably a dev left this on for debugging server health and never turned it off.

If you want to find out your network latency in game ask someone else in your squad to tell you what he sees in the list as that seems to match more closely with network ping (the time to send a message to the server and back without processing)."

My ping was around 100 so I asked a guy in my Squad and he replied that my ping was 60!