cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Ping on Hell Let Loose (PC).

aphex187
On our wavelength

Hi guys,

When joining a UK/EU and the server is around half capacity say 30 players my ping sits around 56. As soon as the server fills up to a 100 my ping shoots up from 88 to 100 and will fluctuate around those and will not drop below. I tried CS Source and my ping was A OK on that with me hitting around 18 but again the player count on those types of servers is real low compared to something like HLL.

I'm running a wired connection from a Hub 4 on a Gig1 connection.

P.S. also seeing dropouts on my wifi soundbar and I'm also seeing streaming lose quality from time to time when watching films.

Cheers for any help on this matter 🙂

20 REPLIES 20

joek66
On our wavelength

I have exactly the same issue. I suspect this is HLL being not very well optimised at keeping latency down when there are lots of users at once. 

aphex187
On our wavelength

I did think that but asking various people over the weeks who were hitting a constant 56 ping I thought it best to ask on here. Only thing was is that none were on Virgin 🤦🏽

joek66
On our wavelength

Yes, just to clarify, I think Virgin clearly has peak time capacity problems which is increasing average latency. On top of that, HLL latency seems to suffer more significantly than other games.

Interesting test - join a HLL server that's empty or close to empty, and check your ping vs a populated server at the same time of day. 

aphex187
On our wavelength

Aye, I have been playing first thing on a morning where the player count is low and ping is in the 50’s but as soon as the server fills my ping is 88 to 100. This happens anytime of the day.

joek66
On our wavelength

It does suggest a problem with the game itself not handling larger player volumes very well. Could also be the servers don't have the resources to properly serve all the players at once. I think I may pursue this via HLL support and would encourage others to do the same, there may be something obvious they can tweak to improve things. 

aphex187
On our wavelength

Did you get anywhere with this then?

I'm still hitting 100 whilst others on BT connections etc are hitting 50 to 56 every game no matter what time of day it is 😵💫

Hi @aphex187

Sorry to hear this is still ongoing for you. Do you have any same issues with other games? 

Please ensure all other programmes are not running in the back ground whilst you are using the game server. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

aphex187
On our wavelength

Sorry for the late reply Carley.

Yes, it seems like it's just this game that seems to have a high ping. Since leaving that reply I have spoken to other guys who are running Virgin and all are around the 52-56 ping mark which is odd.

Cheers.

Hey aphex187, thank you for confirming this to me.

If this is the only game you are having issues with and everything else is working fine, have you checked their gaming community or had a Google search on this at all?

It could be something to do with their server. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt,

Googled and nothing really came back. As for servers, these are various 3rd party servers and are not related to the game developer as far as I’m aware.