cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Ping Relative to other ISP

LowPingLife
Just joined

Hello,

I recently got the 1Gbps Virgin Broadband and I get around 20ms ping on a mobile game over wifi.

I previously had 1Gbps broadband from a different provider and my ping was around 10 ms .. I was wondering if anyone know why VM broadband gives much higher ping?

I replaced VM Hub 4 with an Asus router which is suppose to be Wifi 6 but the ping actually increased to 30ms too.

4 REPLIES 4

carl_pearce
Community elder

@LowPingLife wrote:

Hello,

I recently got the 1Gbps Virgin Broadband and I get around 20ms ping on a mobile game over wifi.

I previously had 1Gbps broadband from a different provider and my ping was around 10 ms .. I was wondering if anyone know why VM broadband gives much higher ping?

I replaced VM Hub 4 with an Asus router which is suppose to be Wifi 6 but the ping actually increased to 30ms too.

It's the technology used, as well as the area you are in.

Do you have FTTP?

20ms is about right for FTTC.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you wanted a low ping life, then Virgin Media's DOCSIS technology is not the place to live it.  The 20ms is a best case performance, any issues and the first thing that suffers is latency.

Here's my VM connection, turning to sludge this evening for no good reason at all:

AndrewG_0-1648585493474.png

And the unfortunate thing is that there's people who will be reading this, thinking "what's he moaning about, you should see my connection!"

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Andrew-G wrote:

<snip>  Here's my VM connection, turning to sludge this evening for no good reason at all:

AndrewG_0-1648585493474.png

Don't feel so bad, that "hump" is also on my Hub 5, Belfast Router and to a lesser extent my BT BQM's.   Something was amiss between 20:00 and 22:00 last night.    Conspiracy theorists can jump in now   😉  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

hortonj88
Fibre optic

Virgin Media uses a technology called DOCSIS which has a higher default latency than VDSL (FTTC) or FTTP does.

20 ms is best case for DOCSIS, 25-30 is good latency for DOCSIS.

On FTTP I get 16 ms to europe hosted games like LoL/FFXIV, 11 ms to World of Warcraft.

I haven't tried any UK hosted games yet but I'd guess it's single digit latency.

When I was a VM customer - 120-150ms at peak times was normal for me, my area was oversubscribed at the time.

Left Virgin Media in 2020 after being fobbed off one too many times about over utilisation.

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png