cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Frequency Latency Spikes

CabbagesVM
Tuning in

I started my service with VM around October 2021. My broadband up to now has been, for the most part, flawless and remedied the main reason that I ended my contract early with Plusnet.

However, sometime in the last week or two (I cannot place an exact day or time, but around the first week of February 2022) I have been experiencing very high latency spikes at relatively short intervals. This is most noticable while in meetings at work (I work from home) when my video and audio would pause/freeze for my colleagues trying to listen to me, and then extremely noticable in my online gaming experience when the game would have extreme rubber banding or just disconnecting from a server (this was in Rocket League). It's important to point out that these are all on ethernet connections.

I have since followed VM's advice and restarted my router, removed network switches, replaced cables, and factory reset the router. Nothing has fixed the latency issues. Even testing a direct router to ethernet cable to laptop connection yields the same latency issues. Since then I have set up a BQM (see below).

My Broadband Ping - Rocket League Sadness 15/02/2022

Every spike you see here is my boss asking me to repeat myself for the 3rd time, or my Rocket League team getting scored on because I missed a save where the ball teleported above my car.

I will post my router status logs in a reply to this thread. I've been lurking in this forum for a couple days and know that VM will often 'oversubscribe' an area. If someone in the community can have a look at this data and let me know if this is similar to that situation I would be very thankful. The one thing that seems odd to be is that if it were an oversubscription issue then I would think this issue would have gradually gotten worse, not the sudden shift that I have experienced.

I would also appreciate if someone at VM could take a look at this issue. I have raised a formal complaint and can provide a reference number if needed. I will keep the BQM running for at least the next 30 days.

25 REPLIES 25

I'm so sorry to hear this. 

I'd be happy to look into your complaint further with you to see where we are at with it. 

I'll send you a PM now so we can arrange this, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you. 

Virgin gave me a fix date of 14 March last week and it seems as though something has changed. See the BQM below:

My Broadband Ping - Rocket League Sadness 15/02/2022

The past 36 hours have been a far cry different to what my usual experience has been for the past 3 weeks. Just see 13 March in the BQM history for an example of what I'm talking about. I'm going to monitor this for the next week still to see how things are. What I'm mainly still concerned about is the latency spikes that are still occurring every few hours. These can still be very disruptive and problematic and I would prefer if they could eliminate all of these spikes rather than just most of them.

What are your thoughts on the change here @Andrew-G, should I post my hub stats again?

Post the status data again if there's something that's causing problems, but I'd recommend sharing a link to a live BQM graph - you've reposted the chart from when you started this thread, so I can't tell if VM have made progress getting things sorted for you.

That is the live BQM, the title is just the date I started it, but it is showing the last 24 hours. You can go to it directly here: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/4379ff836a2157b16fe4bf69ccc03e99b8...

I'll post the status of the hub when I get home this evening.

Hi @CabbagesVM

Sorry to hear the issues is ongoing, I can see that from our systems there is an SNR outage still open in your area. 
This has an estimated end date 23rd March at 9am. If you would still like to post the status of the hub then you can do so. 

Hopefully this will be resolved for you on the 23rd March and I would advise you to reboot the router after 9am and monitor to see if there are any improvements. 

My colleague @Ashleigh_C is back on shift tomorrow and will look to investigating your complaint further as they have mentioned. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Thanks for looking into this. I'm a bit confused though, is this a different SNR outage? The SNR outage that Ashleigh_C told me was being worked on had a ticket number of F009685730 and she said on Tuesday 15 March that that ticket was now closed and the work had been completed. So is this a different ticket that's affecting the area?

I'm also awaiting to hear back from Ashleigh_C about my complaint, as it had been closed automatically by the system for 'not having heard from me' even though I've been in regular contact with Ashleigh_C, who has been extremely helpful throughout this process. So I just need the complaint to be reopened as the issue is still not fully resolved. I've also replied directly to the 'Resolutions Team' email this time just in case. I hadn't realised the correspondence conducted through this community website was not added to the complaint.

I did forget to post the hub status figures, I will endeavour to remember to do that when I'm home from work today. My apologies.