Menu
Bobby4
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Help on gaming

Hi guys!     First timer here so please bare with me 😬.          Ok so I’ve just renewed my contract after 1yr with virgin never had any problems up until now,    My 11 yr old son is very unhappy as his gaming experience has suddenly gone out the window, never had a problem up until now he’s saying his game keeps lagging?????    I have no idea what this means but apparently he now can’t play his games but his mates don’t seem to have any issues and they have same provider and are in same area as us??    I’ve run a test and everything seems to say that there’s no problem with connection????   I am totally lost and any help would be happy just to get my happy gamer son back.     Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated 😁👍🏻 Many thanks 

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Help on gaming

which package of speed do you have if you have 350mb one you will have no problem but below that its not good for gaming experience online

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

as well hard wire the internet to the player wifi is not good for gaming too

Bobby4
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey thanks for reply👍🏻     Think am on the 100mb.  But the thing being is it use to work spot on before,    It’s only been the last 2 weeks since it seems to be lagging funny tho since av renewed terms with them it’s now acting up.   Many thanks on reply really appreciate it 👍🏻

0 Kudos
Joseph90
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, please do not listen to david, you do need 350mpbs package for online gaming, 100mbps is more than enough. Speed is not the most important for online gaming, hey even a 20mbps speed package is enough, what matters most for online gaming the most is packet loss and jitter, the latter is something which virgin is bad for. As you mentioned your son is having a lag problem, this sounds like a packet loss issue.

0 Kudos
Joseph90
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Or virgin is over subscribing in your area and this is affecting your connection quality.

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Joseph90 i am a online gamer but power levels can effect the connection but i have online radio station running at the same time as online gaming if you think about it a family of 4 using a connection on a 100mb you will lock up your speeds then it effects your gaming

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

with online gaming you do use both upload and download speeds and it does make diff and even if you have a family of 4 using it at the same time it will slow it down and lag the gaming more they say 100mb have like 6mb upload speeds you will eat like most of that with online gaming i did only online gaming before i did my online radio station i had that lag problem with 100mb with online gaming i tested every connection from virgin media i been with them since they had the 2 router set up and i had been with virgin media since 2009 on and off i even been with bt fibre for a few years with virgin media connection i did manged to lag both

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

i played on 100mb at my mums house i lagged that with online gaming with mixer website thats with the power levels good

0 Kudos