cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help for Port forwarding Properly

gspower92
On our wavelength

Hi, can you please help me to do portforwarding properly ? Umm I need that for Valorant anyway the ports that I want to open are this ones : 

Valorant - PC
TCP: 2099,5222-5223,8088,8393-8400
UDP: 7000-7500,8088

I was trying to setup this ports, but when im checking them on every port checker online it's said is CLOSED 

Bellow is attached how im setup the ports or check screenshoot : Here 

Port forwardPort forward

5 REPLIES 5

Markley4
Joining in

There are plenty of projects we’ve covered that use your computer as a server for other devices. When you’re inside of your network, most things will work fine. But some apps, if you want to access them when you’re outside your network, make things significantly hairier.

MyPascoConnect

sophist
Trouble shooter

Check this guide, put together by one of the VIPs, @ravenstar68 

It should contain all you need to get everything working.

gspower92
On our wavelength

Hi, I was checking what he said but for me for all UDP ports it shows are closed wich i think is fine ...and for TCP they are filtered .. I can't saw OPEN for TCP 

@ravenstar68 / @sophist 

Starting Nmap 7.92 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2021-08-20 18:21 GMT Daylight Time
Nmap scan report for cpc150491-cosh20-2-0-cust304.6-1.cable.virginm.net [REMOVED]

PORT STATE SERVICE
8400/tcp filtered cvd

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.36 seconds

Starting Nmap 7.92 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2021-08-20 18:26 GMT Daylight Time
Nmap scan report for cpc150491-cosh20-2-0-cust304.6-1.cable.virginm.net [REMOVED]
Host is up (0.0020s latency).

PORT STATE SERVICE
7500/udp closed silhouette

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.14 seconds

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Unless you are running your own game server then there is no good reason for needing to open ports on the router. In addition, even if you do properly open the ports, there needs to be software running on the machine in question that is actively listening on those ports and can respond appropriately. Without that any external scan will report them as closed because it doesn’t get any response back.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My problem with the advice for forwarding ports for games like Valorant, is that often they are wrong.  To understand whether port forwarding is needed you need to consider the way the game works.

Some games connect to a central server using UDP and/or TCP, and all communications occur using the channels that are already open.

If this is the model that valorant uses then there is no need to set up port forwardig anyway.

Other games work on a peer 2 peer connection where one game instance connects directl to another. (An example of this is Splinter Cell: Blacklist)

In that case you do need to set up port forwarding (unless the game does it using UPnP).

Reading up on Valorant, it looks as if they are using the first type of setup as they discusss having servers in different regions - EU/Japan/North America and not allowing gamers in one region to join servers in a different region.  So port forwardig is not going to help.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks