Menu
brooksy79
Fibre optic
Message 21 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming router suggestions to connect to the SH3

VPN’s are handy if your ever a victim off a DDOS attack + with the asus routers the wan ip can be changed using MAC cloning so if you are ever a victim simply change ip, turn on vpn no more trouble.

0 Kudos
ThorpyD
Tuning in
Message 22 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@brooksy79 wrote:

Go with the asus 86u from Amazon 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC86U-AiProtection-Accelerator-Aggregation/dp/B075WFL15D 

The one above?

Also quick question - would you still see improvements by using this and still using an ethernet cable? is it recommended to use Cat 6 over a cat 7? I assumed Cat 7 would've been better.

Bare in mind I just want to avoid the small lag spikes that I keep getting from the hub at the moment, so if there was a router from Asus that'll do that.. with fairly decent wifi (the xbox is next to the router anyway and plugged in about 2 metres away) then that'd be sufficient.

I still need wifi though for the laptop etc but nothing mad on that.
Thanks

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Fibre optic
Message 23 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Can’t really say for cat7 as I’m using cat5e and cat 6 but going by this video.. Not a lot.

https://youtu.be/8NaPgUmVnWw

0 Kudos
ThorpyD
Tuning in
Message 24 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@brooksy79 wrote:

Can’t really say for cat7 as I’m using cat5e and cat 6 but going by this video.. Not a lot.

https://youtu.be/8NaPgUmVnWw

Did you notice a difference in online game play when you connected your stand alone router?

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Fibre optic
Message 25 of 33
Flag for a moderator

In all my years with virgin iv never had or seen any Issues when comes to gaming... But with 3 xbox’s 5 pc’s all gaming/downloading/watching Netflix and YouTube basically 18 devices on at all times having my current  asus 68u I think is more solid when comes to speed and stability compared to the hub 3 + having your own router gives you more features.

0 Kudos
ThorpyD
Tuning in
Message 26 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@brooksy79 wrote:

In all my years with virgin iv never had or seen any Issues when comes to gaming... But with 3 xbox’s 5 pc’s all gaming/downloading/watching Netflix and YouTube basically 18 devices on at all times having my current  asus 68u I think is more solid when comes to speed and stability compared to the hub 3 + having your own router gives you more features.

Makes a fair point i’m just confused as to how i’m hitting a 200mb download with a ping as low as 12 sometimes and still lag when playing games on the xbox online as an example. 

How easy is it to open ports on the SH3 router? Virgin want payment to tell you. Awful.

BT in this area only runs around 80mb but i’m considering options.

is it worth spending £160 on a router which might not even resolve the problem? 

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 27 of 33
Flag for a moderator

It is entirely possible that you won’t really notice an improvement depending on what is causing the occasional lag. 

However something like the AC86 can run QoS, AI protection services and even VPN with pretty much zero impact on throughput.  You can also apply a better / faster DNS. In short wired throughput will be faster and more robust under load. However you will also get most if not all of these features with a lower cost router that will still be better than the hub 3, but some of them won’t cope as well under high loads, especially when advanced features are turned on. 

This site has some detailed reviews and advice on home networking. smallnetbuilder

brooksy79
Fibre optic
Message 28 of 33
Flag for a moderator

12 ping is good I get 15.

Do you have any games that show you ping stats as your playing online (battlefield 4/rainbow 6 I think cod ww2?)

Iv Never port forwarded on the hub 3 but should be easy to do, never heard of virgin wanting payment to tell you how when https://portforward.com/ and a google search on ports will do the trick.

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 29 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Should have added just set UPNP on if you do get a router like the Asus AC86U. No need for port forwarding IMHO, however we do have 2 PS4s and an occasionally used PS3 so UPNP is pretty much the only option for us anyway

Also would go with cat 6 as a minimum for future proof

0 Kudos
ThorpyD
Tuning in
Message 30 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@tonycv51 wrote:

It is entirely possible that you won’t really notice an improvement depending on what is causing the occasional lag. 

However something like the AC86 can run QoS, AI protection services and even VPN with pretty much zero impact on throughput.  You can also apply a better / faster DNS. In short wired throughput will be faster and more robust under load. However you will also get most if not all of these features with a lower cost router that will still be better than the hub 3, but some of them won’t cope as well under high loads, especially when advanced features are turned on. 

This site has some detailed reviews and advice on home networking. smallnetbuilder

Its strange mate its like spikes or speed up lag, game freezes then catches up.

tried to do one of those thinkbroadband graphs in which I hope one of you useful lot could make some sense of

You mentioned above all of those features being just as good on a more reasonable router - as the router is next to the xbox one and will probably be wired, theres nothing else really going on (odd bit of netflix streaming) but thats it and to be fair as you can probably tell my networking knowledge is minimal really hence me asking for advice (which I appreciate btw)

would the router someone else suggested in here from asus do the above fine? I think it was like £115 or if you think any others are fine appreciate your suggestion too

idea being that if I can i’d like try an alternative router and see if it resolves the problem but if it doesn’t seems like a waste really. Not really sure what else it could be but sure as hell is frustrating when you want to try and fix it.

0 Kudos