Menu
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 11 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming router suggestions to connect to the SH3

@ThorpyD wrote:

Thanks for both reverting back.

Tbh for the extra if it'd make a big difference I may as well go for the £160 one right?

Can I ask would it even make a difference if I was using the SH3 in Modem mode > connected to this new router and using it via ethernet? would that still give an improvement?

Do any of you do this or you upgraded purely for wifi purpose?

Thank you

Anything over about £70 will be better than Hub. Re Asus AC86U at £160 - has 4 times 5ghz aerials so much better WiFi speed, smart connect (seamless roaming between 2.4 and 5.0ghz), a 1.8ghz dual core CPU so more than twice as fast as AC 68U and it will run a whole house VPN at about 200mb should you ever need one due to hardware encryption.  I would spend the extra if possible 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Avoid anything badged as a gaming router.

Asus you will pay more than an equivalent router from Tplink, but its worth the extra IMHO.

The only other proviso I would give you is that mostly spending more gets you better WiFi- and if your connecting over Wifi for gaming, dont even bother.

Good basic router and a cat6 cable

0 Kudos
keasy
Up to speed
Message 13 of 33
Flag for a moderator

How "basic" is a "good basic" router?

If there's a few people on his/her network they may want to prioritise a certain device and how well implemented is the QoS of a basic router?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@keasy wrote:

How "basic" is a "good basic" router?

If there's a few people on his/her network they may want to prioritise a certain device and how well implemented is the QoS of a basic router?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CEB53MS/ref=psdc_430579031_t1_B00BUSDVBQ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC66U_B1-802-11ac-Gigabits-Multiple/dp/B008ABOJKS/ref=sr_1_11?s=com...

0 Kudos
ThorpyD
Tuning in
Message 15 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@tonycv51 wrote:

@ThorpyD wrote:

Thanks for both reverting back.

Tbh for the extra if it'd make a big difference I may as well go for the £160 one right?

Can I ask would it even make a difference if I was using the SH3 in Modem mode > connected to this new router and using it via ethernet? would that still give an improvement?

Do any of you do this or you upgraded purely for wifi purpose?

Thank you

Anything over about £70 will be better than Hub. Re Asus AC86U at £160 - has 4 times 5ghz aerials so much better WiFi speed, smart connect (seamless roaming between 2.4 and 5.0ghz), a 1.8ghz dual core CPU so more than twice as fast as AC 68U and it will run a whole house VPN at about 200mb should you ever need one due to hardware encryption.  I would spend the extra if possible 

Really useful response thanks for this! would you say it’s still beneficial even if I was to connect via ethernet as well? Make it sound so easy! 

I never had issues previously and download wise I tend to get around 200mb / 20 ping but still get odd spikes which is frustrating as hell so happy to pay if its an improvement.

0 Kudos
ThorpyD
Tuning in
Message 16 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@Kippies wrote:

Avoid anything badged as a gaming router.

Asus you will pay more than an equivalent router from Tplink, but its worth the extra IMHO.

The only other proviso I would give you is that mostly spending more gets you better WiFi- and if your connecting over Wifi for gaming, dont even bother.

Good basic router and a cat6 cable

Thanks for replying too mate very useful! 

Well i’m currently connected via ethernet and as mentioned above had good download speeds and ping isn’t too terrible but still get spikes which I blame on the Hub. 

Is a cat 6 cable worth using over cat 7? I assumed higher was better! Correct me if i’m wrong.

But you’d still say its worth getting a router upgrade even to connect via ethernet? 

Is it simple enough switching the SH3 into modem mode? 

Thanks again sorry for the questions always worth asking those who know better

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Fibre optic
Message 17 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Yes switching to Modem Mode is easy. Log in to the hubs gui page select modem mode let it reboot then plug your new router in to port 4 on the hub. (The one near the coax input)

A51C9FE9-284D-45A7-ABE9-66561679084A.jpeg

And start setting up your new toy 😁

0 Kudos
ThorpyD
Tuning in
Message 18 of 33
Flag for a moderator

that was quick mate.. If i'm only using it for the xbox one / and ethernet I saw someone mentioned really spending more would only benefit wifi.

Any suggestions on what to go for? I mean that one for £160 sounds like its all singing all dancing but I probably won't be running a VPN any time soon hah.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 19 of 33
Flag for a moderator

If you are not interested in Wifi at the moment, here a suggestion from Broadbandbuyer ..... "Ubiquiti ER-X EdgeRouter X" for less than £50.  Yes it does not have any wifi, but this could be added later with a couple of AP's.  My own router has no wifi, and I use AP's at each end of the property for inside and outside Wifi coverage.

Oh, and also quote from one of the reviews Smiley Happy

"A little more complicated to set up when compared to your cheap consumer router, however its definitely worth it.
Using the SmartQue feature, I now have rock solid ping/latency when playing games. I can even run a speed test/stream videos and not see a ping spike.
Its also nice to have a router that doesn't need rebooting all the time. So far, over a month in, its been set and forget."

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Fibre optic
Message 20 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Go with the asus 86u from Amazon 

0 Kudos