Menu
ThorpyD
Tuning in
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Gaming router suggestions to connect to the SH3

Good Morning all,

I've got Virgin Media 200mb internet but with consistent calls to Virgin / Various members of their team visiting (each changing different parts) etc I still often get lag when online gaming. Although download speeds often still reaching 200mb etc, Ping is usually around 20.

I know a few people on here have probably put the SH3 into modem mode and connected a separate router as in truth no one has rated the SH3 that great right? so I was hoping those who have done could give me some suggestions on a reasonable priced router I could connect please?

Appreciate any help from those who have done this!

Thank you

0 Kudos
StormW4tch3r
Superfast
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming router suggestions to connect to the SH3

I'm a gamer also, along with others Smiley Very Happy most pick from ASUS too Netgear routers, i'm currently running an R7800 with no issues with hub in modem mode. all depends how much you are willing to splash out on a new router.

ThorpyD
Tuning in
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying mate.

Not really sure to be fair I just googled the one you mentioned it looks around £150? Would £100 get me anything decent? 

Did you notice a big difference when going from the SH3 into modem mode with the new router you have? and is it difficult to set up?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
StormW4tch3r
Superfast
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I only went to modem mode as needed more features that Hub 3 lacks, also for £100 you could get two that i could see, 

This one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-90IG0241-BM3000-Asus-RT-AC1200G-Router/dp/B019ZMMZ8I

and 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-90IG0241-BM3000-Asus-RT-AC1200G-Router/dp/B01L1VEFES

either of them should be okay, unless someone else comments about one thats better/cheaper.

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

This is one of the latest Asus routers, £160 but well worth it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC86U-AiProtection-Accelerator-Aggregation/dp/B075WFL15D

I personally like the ASUS routers over Netgear as I find the interface is a lot more modern and has more features.

0 Kudos
ThorpyD
Tuning in
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for both reverting back.

Tbh for the extra if it'd make a big difference I may as well go for the £160 one right?

Can I ask would it even make a difference if I was using the SH3 in Modem mode > connected to this new router and using it via ethernet? would that still give an improvement?

Do any of you do this or you upgraded purely for wifi purpose?

Thank you

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

The ASUS range will do the job for you.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
ThorpyD
Tuning in
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gooner (Fellow arsenal!)

Would you suggest any in particular and could you help with my question above in terms of is it still viable even if I was to plugin and have a wired connection to the Asus router?

Thank you!
0 Kudos
brooksy79
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator

The ASUS 68u is £135 from amazon, still a good solid router, even better with Merlin custom firmware 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC68U-Dual-Band-Wireless-802-11AC/dp/B00FB45SI4

justasking1992
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I use a Edgerouter X, it is by far the best router I have ever used. In terms of gaming I have almost no issues with packet loss/ping and it is extremely stable. 

0 Kudos