cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming router or not ???

Sluggy7971
Joining in

Hi there ANY help please...I'm currently on the 1 gig fibre from virgin media ..I have my ps5 and xbox series x connected via ethernet cable ..but over WiFi only getting 400-500 download speed ..seems to be best way forward use the hub 4 as a modem and get a new router do I go for a gaming router ...normal router which has WiFi 6..or a mesh system of some kind ...baffles me any help or advise please..

4 REPLIES 4

risc19
Well-informed

HUB4 wifi standard is AC not AX (wifi6).

400-500 is about right.

If you want to get faster you will have to buy a wifi6 router and place the hub in modem only mode.

BUT your devices will have to be capable of wifi6 or its a waste of time and money.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

And don't buy anything marketed as a "gaming router", that's just a funky paint job and/or fancy case styling, with thirty quid added to the price of a technically identical household or business router.

On second thoughts, if all you want is a funky paint job or fancy styling, then by all means buy that.  Just don't expect different performance. 

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Sluggy7971 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I will leave you in the capable hands of our fantastic community members in regards to 3rd party purchases.  However I'm more than happy to take a remote look at your services, if you'd like?

Regards

Lee_R

Any Router is way better than the SH4 in router mode.

I have been modem mode since 2012, via SH, SH2, SH2AC, SH3 (total disaster router) and now a SH4.

In that time i have had just 2 ASUS routers, my last one i got over 3.5 years ago. Its still going strong.

I WFH, and game on a PC / PS5, without any issues.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?