cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming on VM?

pekoms
Joining in

So I'm not a heavy gamer but I like playing CoD multiplayer and I also have Google Stadia.

Regarding Stadia, the games play smoothly most of the time but I can't play in 4K. It always says network not compatible (or words to that effect). On CoD, I'm tired of playing match after match where I can't take on anyone 1 to 1 without dying, I empty a magazine into someone and they drop me like I've been blasted by a shotgun. It's so frustrating (bearing in mind in MW3 I was in top 50 players in the world and not with virgin).

It has been suggested to me that it's down to the terrible latency with virgin media.

On top of this, I have frequent disconnections and slowdowns and upstairs WiFi is terrible (hub is in center of the house, vertically and horizontally and it's a small house with plasterboard walls).I'm stuck in contract for a while but is there anything I can do to improve things?

I've tried my own router with the hub in modem mode and it didn't improve things at all.

3 REPLIES 3

Icantcrabhere
Superfast

Latency is always going to be slightly higher on DOCSIS, however not enough to cause major issues or be remotely noticeable.
I'm assuming you're using an ethernet cable? (for CoD at least)

I'd suggest setting up a BQM: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality
you'll need to allow ICMP requests, or else it will show up as 100% packet loss

Also post your logs from the hub (Upstream, Downstream, network log):
type 192.168.100.1 into your browser, assuming you're in modem mode.

Also make sure to copy and paste the logs rather than screenshots, makes it easier to read.
The forum will automatically blank out your MAC Address when posting.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Icantcrabhere wrote:

Latency is always going to be slightly higher on DOCSIS, however not enough to cause major issues or be remotely noticeable.
I'm assuming you're using an ethernet cable? (for CoD at least)
<snip>

All depends on the VM area and utilisation.  Some parts of the VM infrastructure are okay and some are dire.  Most Openreach connections, either xDSL or FTTP will outperform DOCIS for latency.  I run both VM and BT (for redundancy) and route all my gaming via the xDSL connection for this reason.

Full agree about cable connections for gaming, as wifi adds another layer of problems, especially in a crowded wifi space.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @pekoms,

Thanks for getting in touch and a warm welcome to our Forums! 🙂

Unfortunately, we can't advise on the Google Stadia as we aren't able to support 3rd-Party devices - if you contact Google regarding this and need any information from us directly, we can always try to assist in answering them.

Are you experiencing these issues on just WiFi, or is it the same on Ethernet? 

As mentioned previously, it's always better to game using an Ethernet connection as WiFi can experience multiple issues due to factors outside of our control such as connected devices, house structure, blackspots, etc. 

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ