Menu
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Gaming on VM Business Broadband

So, i have a question for anyone who has attempted this, whats the performance like, i imagine its probably not that different from the residential service, i am aware that the hitron router has the same puma issues that the hub3 has but have they had any kind of firmware fixes like the hub3 has had

Seeing as they want to raise my price i figure i may aswell get a speed increase out of it as the 350 business costs the same as i pay for my 200 gamer package

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming on VM Business Broadband

So nobody have any experience with this?

0 Kudos
Connect123
Dialled in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There is a member called Luke 113 I think and he has business broadband , hopefully he will see this post and offer his experience of the business service

Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

hi @shanematthews
Yes I've got a VMB service I've got the slightly older 200mb down and '15mb' up although realistically I rarely get over 13mb if I turn off my QoS on my pfsense server router.
Is it better? I would say yes, I mostly max out download speed (when my QoS is off) the recent patch that was pushed out to business users what seems like around 5-6 weeks before residential users is likely the same patch of the Intel Puma 6 issues, since that patch gaming is actually pretty good, ping remains stable and noticebly lower, I play HoTS very regularly (6000ish games in the last 2-3 years) and since the patch and the recent work in my area (Reading) the ping is almost as good as a BT line sometimes better in the game, but generally a BT line will still be a few ms lower than me, but it means that games like PUBG are playable i.e. I can shoot people and bullets will actually hit, prior to the puma patch it was horrible to the point I basically stopped playing hit detection was that bad (that is absolutely aside from the atrocious netcode that game uses and the horrible desync!)

I stream so you're welcome to have a look - https://www.twitch.tv/ludaluke , most games I play I have a ping counter visible.

The Hitron is definitely better than the hub3 but probably not by much, but do yourself a favour and run it in modem mode (gives a lower ping straight off the bat) with a proper router attached (alot of members recommend the Asus Nighthawk series), or my recommendation build a pfsense router (or they can be bought from amazon cheap) and setup 'traffic shapers' (QoS) and you can absolutely maintain a very decent ping all the time even when I'm streaming or multiple devices are downloading.

You apparently get 'priority' over consumers during day time hours which usually seems to extend into peak times aswell, but the things I'd rate the most about the service is the difference in customer services, I can call/web chat/email and I'll get a fast response and they're not reading from scripts and will call back when they say (generally)

Hope this helps, let me know if theres anything specific you're looking for info on.
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

oh and to add to this, my ping counters have around a daily average of 20-22ms with minimal packet loss (and I have IMCP as a lower priority on my QoS) - this includes days I stream or have several large downloads run, down from the closer to 28-30ms and lots of packet loss and spiking before the puma6 patch
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Luke_113 wrote:
@hi @shanematthews
Yes I've got a VMB service I've got the slightly older 200mb down and '15mb' up although realistically I rarely get over 13mb if I turn off my QoS on my pfsense server router.
Is it better? I would say yes, I mostly max out download speed (when my QoS is off) the recent patch that was pushed out to business users what seems like around 5-6 weeks before residential users is likely the same patch of the Intel Puma 6 issues, since that patch gaming is actually pretty good, ping remains stable and noticebly lower, I play HoTS very regularly (6000ish games in the last 2-3 years) and since the patch and the recent work in my area (Reading) the ping is almost as good as a BT line sometimes better in the game, but generally a BT line will still be a few ms lower than me, but it means that games like PUBG are playable i.e. I can shoot people and bullets will actually hit, prior to the puma patch it was horrible to the point I basically stopped playing hit detection was that bad (that is absolutely aside from the atrocious netcode that game uses and the horrible desync!)

I stream so you're welcome to have a look - https://www.twitch.tv/ludaluke , most games I play I have a ping counter visible.

The Hitron is definitely better than the hub3 but probably not by much, but do yourself a favour and run it in modem mode (gives a lower ping straight off the bat) with a proper router attached (alot of members recommend the Asus Nighthawk series), or my recommendation build a pfsense router (or they can be bought from amazon cheap) and setup 'traffic shapers' (QoS) and you can absolutely maintain a very decent ping all the time even when I'm streaming or multiple devices are downloading.

You apparently get 'priority' over consumers during day time hours which usually seems to extend into peak times aswell, but the things I'd rate the most about the service is the difference in customer services, I can call/web chat/email and I'll get a fast response and they're not reading from scripts and will call back when they say (generally)

Hope this helps, let me know if theres anything specific you're looking for info on.

Thats all i really needed to hear thanks, thank you for the detailed reply Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No worries, any time, one tip though, DO NOT get the static IP address, they have serious issues with its implementation, or take the static IP, call up on day one and have it removed (takes around 10mins for this to happen) and you'll be allowed to read it at a later date without charge, the other advantages of the business version is that you actually get (usually) a decent warning of unplanned downtime, and the customer service teams don't outright lie to you, its the only place that I would be able to have a conversation about the Intel Puma 6 bug with Virgin and not be told they don't know about it - that and the business customer service is UK based and they're always friendly, oh and when you complain you'll usually get a good response and fast action i.e. money off your monthly bill when things go wrong. Oh and an SLA where they'll pay you when the line is down for X number of hours (depending what level of SLA you take)
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Luke_113 wrote:
No worries, any time, one tip though, DO NOT get the static IP address, they have serious issues with its implementation, or take the static IP, call up on day one and have it removed (takes around 10mins for this to happen) and you'll be allowed to read it at a later date without charge, the other advantages of the business version is that you actually get (usually) a decent warning of unplanned downtime, and the customer service teams don't outright lie to you, its the only place that I would be able to have a conversation about the Intel Puma 6 bug with Virgin and not be told they don't know about it - that and the business customer service is UK based and they're always friendly, oh and when you complain you'll usually get a good response and fast action i.e. money off your monthly bill when things go wrong. Oh and an SLA where they'll pay you when the line is down for X number of hours (depending what level of SLA you take)

Yeah i've heard about issues with the static IP's so i went with the dynamic option, i've only opted for the 24 hour SLA as i don't really need anything faster than that, hopefully i won't have to complain very often but having UK based support is definitely an added bonus, i've started the process already so i'm now just waiting for them to get in touch regarding an install date, again thank you for your advice its much appreciated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No problems at all!
Also if you have existing Virgin wiring to the house, when the installer comes insist they lay new VMB cabling as they use higher quality both internally and externally, don't let them just reuse the existing consumer cabling!

Welcome to the club
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Luke_113 wrote:
No problems at all!
Also if you have existing Virgin wiring to the house, when the installer comes insist they lay new VMB cabling as they use higher quality both internally and externally, don't let them just reuse the existing consumer cabling!

Welcome to the club

Yeah the sales woman mentioned about the cabling as ours is starting to get a little old around the edges, although when it was last repulled they used the more heavy duty cable although again its bordering on 5 years old now, i'll bear it in mind and see what can be done

0 Kudos