cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Router

Frustrated16879
Tuning in

Hi,

I am experiencing latency issues and some limited packet loss on my connection, had an engineer out who has checked everthing at my end and replaced cables etc. The issue is still present. The engineer was very honest and advised that it is is likely an infrastructure/utilisation issue most likely caused by the increased demand at the moment.

Would investing in a gaming router where I can proioritize the gaming connection make any difference? Does anyone have any experience of this resolving the issue or is anyone willing to recommend a suitable router?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Save your money.  Gaming routers are just normal routers with a jazzy paint job and thirty quid uplift on the price.  And as an over-utilisation problem is between the cable modem side of the hub and the CMTS gear at the head of the local coax network, you can buy any router you want and it won't make a blind bit of difference.

At the moment the only likely fix is to wait for lockdown to end, there's nothing VM will do to fix a problem they hope to be temporary. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
If you game with the hub in modem mode is it any better? if not a new router likely will not help.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Save your money.  Gaming routers are just normal routers with a jazzy paint job and thirty quid uplift on the price.  And as an over-utilisation problem is between the cable modem side of the hub and the CMTS gear at the head of the local coax network, you can buy any router you want and it won't make a blind bit of difference.

At the moment the only likely fix is to wait for lockdown to end, there's nothing VM will do to fix a problem they hope to be temporary. 

I just wanted to post this to give some encouragement to others with latency issues. I have been reporting the issue and monitoring the situation, Virgin support were actually very honest about the timescales to get the issue fixed and in fairness have been prompt and courteous with their responses, although it was very frustrating at times. The gaming router definitely helped but only marginally.

Well the issue has been resolved and the infrastructure upgraded/repaired, and we now have a very stable connection with low latency. Dont give up folks, it is not a quick fix but persistence does pay off.

You dont need a gaming router, just a router will improve your connection.

The SH range in router mode is useless for gaming. Full stop.

The SH in modem mode and your own router is the way to go.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

In reality, there is no such thing as a ‘gaming router’, it’s purely a marketing buzzword term designed to extract extra money from the gullible.