cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming High latency

Coaster700
Tuning in

I have 200meg download, using a Xbox Series X and PS5, both wired with cat 6 cables, I bought and Asus RTax88u router and am running that with HUB 3 in modem mode and I have both systems set to open Nat connections and I am typically getting 50-90ms in games, sometimes with packet loss and rubberbanding.  I ran trace route and it is showing latency in the Virgin infrastructure.  Not sure what I can do about it?  I only recently signed up to a new package for the TV and it appears that it has renewed the Internet part too, for 18 months.  

• Am I just stuck with rubbish latency in my gaming?  Would a hub 4 put in modem mode do anything at all for me?  Is there anything Virgin are likely to be able to do for me?  Worst come to the worst, how much would it cost to buy out of an 18 month contract?  Any help is appreciated.
26 REPLIES 26

Where on earth are you getting that from?  5 down? lol.  

Tons of providers can offer fairly decent speeds as in 40-70mbs down.  Also this has nothing really to do with speed, but that of latency. Online Gaming depends upon low ping/low latency and in this regard Virgin are extremely poor.  

That speed is direct from BT's broadband service checker, based on our address.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

The correct term for VM internet is Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC), Fibre exists on the network but the end user never see's any of the fibre.

Left Virgin Media in 2020 after being fobbed off one too many times about over utilisation.

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png

He's either on an "Exchange only" line or lives in an area so rural that it's not financially viable for Openreach to build in.

Exchange Only lines are a thing for people who live really close to their exchange.

Exchange only lines in particular cannot get VDSL (FTTC) as they do not route through a street cabinet so they're usually stuck on very low speed ADSL.

"Tons of providers can offer fairly decent speeds as in 40-70mbs down. Also this has nothing really to do with speed, but that of latency."

Indeed. Download and upload speed is a luxury to a gamer.

We care about latency, jitter and packet loss.

Left Virgin Media in 2020 after being fobbed off one too many times about over utilisation.

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png

So what does the BQM graph look like?

Too early to say yet mate.  I added the monitor the day you recommended, but had a break from gaming, downloading etc (all things internet) as was basically miffed at my gaming running so badly and had spent ages setting up the new Asus router (first time I ever did this) and sorting out a VPM and port forwarding etc.  I am going to be gaming and downloading over the next couple of evenings, so that is going to give me a better idea, no?  

I have the current monitoring graphs, but I was not using the internet at all during these days so?

Separately I ran trace route and that showed latency of 1ms on the home network and latency issues from Virgin media in going to the exchange...it doesn't look great. 

Can I embed images here for the the monitor graphs in the next few days, or do I just need to relay the figures and picture in language?

Seems to have finally settled down after the Pallava from the last few days.

djfuego_0-1617642361361.png

You can just post any Downstream Post RS errors and any Upstream timeouts by taking a screenshot from the router status page (you don't even need to login)

fenegroni_0-1617648284191.png

45d4216f70240c2f2da14441a2fa93aeb8e56f7a-06-04-2021.png

Thoughts?

Hi Coaster700,

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear about the issues you have been having with your latency.

Checking your account, I can see all is looking well with the Hub in terms of power levels, uptime and time outs. There is a fault open that is affecting you though. The details of that are here: 

• Fault reference number: F008780295
  • Estimated fix time: 09 APR 2021 15:15
  • Description: You might find that these services are intermittent at the moment: Virgin Fibre, Interactive TV, Catch Up TV, TV On Demand TiVo® or V6 home menu. We are sorry and working hard to resolve this for you.

I have made a note of this on your account so the relevant teams are aware you are affected. 

If there is anything else we can do, let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs