cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming High latency

Coaster700
Tuning in

I have 200meg download, using a Xbox Series X and PS5, both wired with cat 6 cables, I bought and Asus RTax88u router and am running that with HUB 3 in modem mode and I have both systems set to open Nat connections and I am typically getting 50-90ms in games, sometimes with packet loss and rubberbanding.  I ran trace route and it is showing latency in the Virgin infrastructure.  Not sure what I can do about it?  I only recently signed up to a new package for the TV and it appears that it has renewed the Internet part too, for 18 months.  

• Am I just stuck with rubbish latency in my gaming?  Would a hub 4 put in modem mode do anything at all for me?  Is there anything Virgin are likely to be able to do for me?  Worst come to the worst, how much would it cost to buy out of an 18 month contract?  Any help is appreciated.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Setup a BQM at thinkbroadband.com

Let it run for a few hours and see what the graph looks like.

Then you can get VM to either sort it out or at least discuss options.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

So what does the BQM graph look like?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

hortonj88
Fibre optic

Depends on your package.

Standalone M200 Broadband with no Oomph - £35.52 x months remaining

M200 Broadband with Oomph - £37.18 x months remaining

If we go by "recently" being a month or less ago -

Standalone M200 Broadband with no Oomph - 17 months @ £35.52 = £603.84

M200 Broadband with Oomph - 17 months @ £37.18 = £632.06

TV and Phone can change this number too, check link below.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...

Left Virgin Media in 2020 after being fobbed off one too many times about over utilisation.

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png

I had no idea the latency was due to Virgin until I bought my own new router for £300. Also I never asked to renew the internet, but found to my cost that when I took out TV with them, they auto renewed the internet as part of that package. I already had internet with virgin, but was out of contract, and I added tv. It looks like they have me trapped, not to say conned as nothing was ever mentioned about the internet when I added the TV and got that last month. Getting out or not, is there anything that can be done regarding the service and the state of it? Would a Hub 4 in modem mode improve matters? Is there anything else that might be done? I presume no increase in speed is going to do anything for my latency? 

I have just checked Modern Warfare and I am now getting 150-160ms online with that game via the Xbox One Series X.  On trace route it is showing my latency on my home network as just 1ms.

Setup a BQM at thinkbroadband.com

Let it run for a few hours and see what the graph looks like.

Then you can get VM to either sort it out or at least discuss options.

djfuego
On our wavelength
Hey Coaster you're not the only gamer getting bad cable service.
I only have 100Meg and I can't get a reliable CS GO session this evening either.
I use Hub3 in modem mode too with a slightly lesser Asus Router but have always been on point with no latency issues ever.
It's the first time in years I've been disconnected from all my gaming sessions in the same day.
I hope Virgin fix this cable issue soon.

Thx for the replies/help - appreciated each, thx.

I tried playing Cold War tonight after seeing the 160ms latency on Modern Warfare.  I went to play two games of Zombies with a mate, both games dumped us out 20 minutes in due to network errors.  Just abysmal. 

I'm going to run the thinkbroadband test on my network as kindly suggested and see if this arms me with something.  I find it hard to believe that we can be locked into contracts for 18 months on the basis of speed, without regard to latency.  I am been with Virgin for many years, last year I was getting 25ms on Modern Warfare with friends, now it is 160ms.  Last year we played the additional modes in that game and until recently were doing the same in Cold War, now we're getting booted.  If you can't game, how is this meeting the requirements of a service? 

I'll see what happens with that test.

My night is heading towards bog standard TV and a few cans of Guinness lol

There might be some fault on your line causing worse problems, but even on one of the best Virgin Media connections out there I still get latency spikes that are awful for gaming.

Unfortunately unless there's a fault, you can't get out of a contract on the basis of latency. Only thing you can do is move away from VM if you live in an area served by other networks.

Openreach turn on 1Gbps FTTP in a few days. Once that's done, the cancellation request is going straight in to Virgin Media. Goodbye DOCSIS and HFC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When and where is openreach getting fttp? 😳😳

No one knows when you'll get it or if you'll get it at all, you could ask Openreach directly.

I got lucky and my street was FTTP enabled in February.

Left Virgin Media in 2020 after being fobbed off one too many times about over utilisation.

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png

VM is still the only fibre provider in our area. The best BT can guarantee us is 5 Mb down and 1 up.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node