cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games keep disconecting mid match

seefights
Joining in

So for the longest time I've been having this issue where when i am playing a game it'll randomly disconect from the game, not the internet, the game. I will have spotify open in the background and that still plays while my game dissconnects.

Secondly its not even with JUST gaming, it happens on Netflix, Disney +, YouTube. The service seems to just drop out when ever theres a medium sized usage (two people using it, one gaming (me) and one watching Netflix (family member)) and we should have enough bandwidth to support upto 8 devices online at once (we get 1gig)

Now on my end I have tried resetting the modem, i have re-cramped the cable wires properly and professionaly, I have even CHANGED some of the wires and yet it is still happening.

For more insight, I am wired into a secondary modem in my room and that is receiving a wired connection from our Hub 4 in the living room. The reason for this is so there is wifi in the kitchen and back end of the house 🙂 (I did this myself and before VM offered wifi boosters for free)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Best to keep away from the DHCP, even if it's reserved.  Just pick an IP address outside the DHCP scope and it will be fine.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

seefights
Joining in

looking online to other peoples problems they have always provided screenshots of their downstream stats so heres mine;

seefights_0-1670760399454.png

now looking at them and comparing, people have said you want them as close to 0 as possible and an attenuator. we dont have that.

Should we have an attenuator?
Are these out of spec?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I can't see your photos as the moment, so I'll just post this.

Downstream should be between -6 and +10. Upstream should be between 34 and 51.  All Upstream channels should be QAM64.  There  should be no PostRS errors.  If the power levels are within these limits, you do not need any attenuators.  These are only fitted by VM technicians to resolve problems.

What "modem" do you have wired into the Hub?  Are you using any Powerline Adapters?  What type of "cables" did you repair?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

"Downstream should be between -6 and +10. Upstream should be between 34 and 51.  All Upstream channels should be QAM64.  There  should be no PostRS errors.  If the power levels are within these limits, you do not need any attenuators.  These are only fitted by VM technicians to resolve problems."

The downstream is

Upstream too

They are QAM256

"What "modem" do you have wired into the Hub?"

TL-WR841N its currently set as a router not a modem sorry.

"Are you using any Powerline Adapters?"

I do not think so

"What type of "cables" did you repair?"

Cat5 for my wired connection - i wouldnt touch a cable that i dont know the name off haha

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Okay, Downstream should be QAM256, but Upstream should be QAM64.

Are you running the TP-Link in Access Point mode ?  If not you should be as two routers will give problems. Also that model is quite old now with only 10/100 ethernet ports.

"Okay, Downstream should be QAM256, but Upstream should be QAM64."

Upstream is that

"Are you running the TP-Link in Access Point mode ?"

seefights_0-1670761807427.png

I run it in Wireless Router(Default) because i have a wired connection coming into my room from the Hub downstairs and all i have my TP-Link doing is acting a psuedo switch with wireless capabilities so that I can plug my pc into one of the ports on the TP-Link and have wireless in the back end of the house.

I tried using the Access Point mode but then the wired ports on the TP-link dont work.

"Also that model is quite old now with only 10/100 ethernet ports."

Yeah i know its old it is needing an upgrade -_-

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

<snip>  I tried using the Access Point mode but then the wired ports on the TP-link dont work. <snip>

If that's the case it must be faulty.  Access point mode allows access to wifi and ethernet, it just doesn't do any routing work.  Having two routers will give problems.  When using AP mode the TP-Link needs a static IP address outside the DHCP scope of the Hub's range. 

so would you suggest i try AP mode again and give my TP-Link a static IP

Cause i could always also reserve the IP addtress of the TP-link in my hubs settings.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Best to keep away from the DHCP, even if it's reserved.  Just pick an IP address outside the DHCP scope and it will be fine.  

how do i find my hubs DHCP scope?