cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For all Gamers with lag: Puma chipset and the Virgin media development department.

Laura96
Dialled in

So I have been experiencing so much latency ping and jittering like many of you have and after updating every part of my set up and spending a bunch of money i have narrowed it down to the biggest offender. The Puma 6 chipset inside your Home Hub 3.

If you are a gamer or streamer what matters most is having a consistent smooth FPS experience. Unfortunately for all the pros of Virgin and its wonderful staff it is let down by the Home Hub 3, more specifically the Puma 6 chipset by Intel/Arris who have now made a Puma 7 chipset with similar issues. As a community of Virgin media I think we all - including the staff need to rally together to make this service as good if not better than what is advertised. 

No amount of software patches will fix this hardware problem and putting the HH3 in modem mode doesn't help either. The puma chipset line is poorly made in comparison to what is available on the market. The Virgin media development department with the final say on this has to be woken up in order to realise that people aren't stupid, if they continue with this chipset they will continue to lose customers permanently. 

Solutions;

-Scrap the Puma chipset line altogether in favour of any other better chipset for the Home Hub 4.

- Release a pro version of the Home Hub 3 with a different chipset tailored for gamers. (I would pay extra for that happily)

-Make a list of 3rd party modems which are compatible with Virgin DOCSIS 3 in Europe. Like BT does.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/08/intel-coughs-to-puma-cpu-flaw-that-hit-virgin-media-hu...

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion~sta...

https://www.classactionlawyers.com/puma6

74 REPLIES 74

yup the future is looking bleak for VM gaming abilities. Im on 4mbs dwn and 20mbs up today [removed]? my package is 200/12 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

toomey2u
On our wavelength

Iv been having this problem for along as i can remember, the most they do is replace the router with another one iv noticed random things that can fix the ping now and then but they make no sense, and they arent always 100% certain.  I'm on the highest package  today my pings good with a  max of 41m/s at idle but the Hub3 keeps cutting out so i cant play anything even i if i wanted to haha. With the price increase coming in September I'd expect better service or atleast an alternative Router or modem, I remember seeing a post about a month ago where a customer who happened to be a infrastructure engineer did a trace on the VM network to see where all the lag was coming from and they whittled it down to a single node either crashing or running way above capacity causing it to constantly time out every few seconds. so although the puma issue might have been "fixed" this might have been the underlying issue along.

Edit router cut out: also  i phoned VM afew days ago to ask for an engineer to come look at the wiring, and was told that if i didnt like the service to leave in typical telephone VM customer service, so once i move unless there's any sign of change or a trial for a new router ect going on that's exactly what I'll be doing, they can bang on about speed all they want but it means nothing if i cant actually get it or a stable service, its just a pity they are holding my house phone number ransom.

@toomey2u wrote:

Iv been having this problem for along as i can remember, the most they do is replace the router with another one iv noticed random things that can fix the ping now and then but they make no sense, and they arent always 100% certain.  I'm on the highest package  today my pings good with a  max of 41m/s at idle but the Hub3 keeps cutting out so i cant play anything even i if i wanted to haha. With the price increase coming in September I'd expect better service or atleast an alternative Router or modem, I remember seeing a post about a month ago where a customer who happened to be a infrastructure engineer did a trace on the VM network to see where all the lag was coming from and they whittled it down to a single node either crashing or running way above capacity causing it to constantly time out every few seconds. so although the puma issue might have been "fixed" this might have been the underlying issue along.

Edit router cut out: also  i phoned VM afew days ago to ask for an engineer to come look at the wiring, and was told that if i didnt like the service to leave in typical telephone VM customer service, so once i move unless there's any sign of change or a trial for a new router ect going on that's exactly what I'll be doing, they can bang on about speed all they want but it means nothing if i cant actually get it or a stable service, its just a pity they are holding my house phone number ransom.

There won't be any change in devices until the gigabit service rolls out, but thats confirmed to have a puma 7 modem in it which apparently had the same issues so for the foreseeable future there will be puma modems

Solomace
On our wavelength

So I find that I have lag not just on gaming but on websites loading. 

Streaming isn't too bad, but I do notice issues when playing Fifa. 

I'm in contract until 2020, however because of the price increase, I can leave anytime in the next 25 days without charges. 

I'm on the M200 speed, but I know I don't get this really or even need it.

I know this shouldn't be said here, but should I go back to Sky for gaming and browsing etc or BT for gaming?

TBH, when I phone up Virgin and ask if I could leave because of the price hike, not only did they say yes, they asked if I wanted to basically set the ball in motion to leave??? I was surprised they didn't ask me why or make any attempt to get me to stay, just a simply see ya. 

Any thoughts?

Solomace: "I know this shouldn't be said here, but should I go back to Sky for gaming and browsing etc or BT for gaming?"

Of course it should!  It is a valid question, and if VM don't like it, all they need to do is sort out their grotty and disjointed customer service, and then have the technical teams get round to first time resolution on local faults.  It's a shame, they have the makings of brilliant company (most UK staff are good, network is excellent when its working, strong brand, huge resources), but due to nincompoops for senior managers, they throw away all of that by knowingly perpetuating dreadful, incompetent, under-resourced customer service, and insisting field operations are run on a shoestring, meaning the technicians don't have time to do a proper job.

But, before you fell to Sky, remember that all the big telcos are the same for customer service.  When things work and you don't need customer service, that's fine.  When things go wrong, that's when you find out if you've made a mistake, and all the resources are poured into sales and marketing, not support and service.  Take a look on Trustpilot or ISP Review, and you'll see the same proportion of disappointed and angry customers for all the big ISPs and telcos.  If all you want is a good Openreach line and a company that understands customer service and tech support, then try Zen Internet.  Ultimately you do pay a little bit more, but not much after you take into account the big player's out of contract price hikes.  Aquiss, uno and IDNet also have very good reputations, and if you really want the best technical support of any ISP, then check out AAISP.  With some of these you buy your own modem and router, which certainly gives you choice and control, so make sure you understand the deal.  Although the local loop is always operated and maintained by Openreach, what differentiates these smaller companies is their ability to diagnose problems and pursue Openreach to resolve them, as well as far better customer service.  I can personally vouch for Zen.

Something else to know is that there is hope on the horizon for VM gamers.  The Hub 3 firmware problems have been sorted for about a year now, and the residual DOCSIS latency appears to be sorted - from discussion in another thread ("Latency shocker!") it seems most people don't have this yet, and we don't know if this is just in test, or in rollout - but have a look at my glorious BQM below

My Broadband Ping - VM 200 Mbps

The questions you need to ask yourself are:

1) If VM fixed my connection issues, would I still stay? If the price isn't acceptable, then no point hanging around.

2) Am I happy to wait (possibly months) for the sort of BQM shown above?  It's infuriating waiting for network tests to be completed and a national rollout, but these things do take time.

3) Am I prepared to put the effort into partial diagnosis of my problem (starting a new thread) to ensure that I know what needs fixing, and then put the effort into working with VM's shoddy customer service to grind through to a resolution?

4) If leaving, am I prepared to take my chances with other dreadful large companies like BT, Plusnet, Sky, Talktalk, or do i want to explore options with the smaller ISPs listed above?

Hope that helps with your choices!

Solomace
On our wavelength
Hi friend,

Very long and thoughtful response that has definitely has caused me to pause and think.

I've joined sky and it's coming next week, but I've also cancelled my Virgin which will finish 2 weeks later. I'm going to use the 2 weeks as a tester and see if I notice any difference. If not, then I can cancel sky in it's trial period and go back to Virgin and stop my cancellation (asking for a discount ofc ;).

If however sky works out, then see ya Virgin.

I can always come back in a years time if things change.

Thanks again.

stephensmith121
Joining in
Thanks all for your responses. i was having similar questions and your answers were helpful to me.

I just upgraded to the 1Gb service. What a mess, 1st I have not reached the stated speed not even close. Best I got was 680Mb its down to 170Mb at the moment. The Hub 4 is utter rubbish. It still uses the Puma 7 chip. They have put a fan at the bottom of the hub and it looks like it starved of air. The air flow is appalling, the heat is crazy and looks like it can't escape here is a link to the tear down of the hub. http://bbs.ntpcb.com/simple/?t119873.html now here is a link to the Intel developers kit https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/puma-development-kit-bri... errmmm its almost the same. I think Liberty or should say Limited Global should scrap this Hub. Oh yes and while on the matter of heat I think mine is damaged and something went POP inside while going from Hub into Modem mode. So to me it looks like they still have issues and if heat is one then only a resigned would help.  

toomey2u
On our wavelength

i agree the airflow in that looks terrible, who the hell are they paying to design these things, finally found out a way to get the superhub3 working relatively well, i have to restart it every 12hrs, and then restart other router connected to it every 24hrs, just doing one of those never seems to have the right effect.

i was tempted to upgrade to the 1gb service,  im fully expecting it to have some teething problems but damn its a same we cant use our own routers because the first thing id do with that one linked is cut 2 holes into it and mount some extra fans on it somehow

This is deadly serious, have to say people on here are all rather acquiescent. This is another Grenfell Tower in the making. How can you relax when away from your homes with the risk of Virgins dredfull 'cheapest deal going' modems could set on fire ? Can you ever go on holiday again while a virgin router is in your house ? This whole nightmare regards the Intel chipset, Arris and Virgin have delt a double blow for the consumer. Added to the racketeering in place in a vast number of locations uk wide, leading to the apprehension of competing products carried on the Openreach infrastructure as agreements are in force that prevent Openreach rollout of even FTTC services to specific streets or new build estates. The whole industry needs a shake-up in regulations, penalties of which need to be able to put CEOs in prison and companies out of business within 24 hours, no matter the size. The bar to malpractice is set way too high. Meanwhile, know that the whole puma chipset debacle is yet more deliberate racketeering. The virgin infrastructure is not capable of sustaining the throughput required for its user base, rather than fix the infrastructure, its cheaper to dupe customers. The Puma chipset is an example of plausible deniability in action. A deliberate agreement behind closed doors to limit throughput while Virgin, can blame Arris, who can in turn blame Intel. Intel get to offload defective chipsets, recouping design and manufacturing costs, Virgin get to dish out a modem that knowingly limits the impact on the network and hides so many infrastructure weaknesses in the UK. Nobody gets a choice for what modem can be used, so the true nature of the issues within their rotten systems remains nicely hidden. Virgin in all honestly should be cast out of the UK, much like their rail business, they dont deserve to operate.