cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra port or extension for ethernet/PS4 ????

dave_in_manc
On our wavelength

Hello, long story short:

At home, the Virgin360 TV box is downstairs, the router is UPstairs. (so my PC can be connected via ethernet)

I recently bought a PS4 and would like to connect it via ethernet, Downstairs, (instead of its current connection via WiFi).

What is the recommended/easiest way to add and additional ethernet supply Downstairs? (Solely for the Playstation4 )

Many thanks.

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@dave_in_manc you can't add another VM hub downstairs as they will only allow one per account. I'm afraid ethernet is really the only way to go (powerline adapters notwithstanding), and yes a 4 or 5 port ethernet switch would work upstairs.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you only want the PS 4 connecting, then easiest in terms of technology is to buy a pre-terminated Cat 6a ethernet cable of the right length, and then work out how to plumb it round the house without it looking awful (that's the hard bit).  If you need to drill holes you'll need a 14-15mm bit if using pre-terminated cables.  Plug one end into the hub, the other into the PS4, job done.   

So you're saying run an ethernet cable from upstairs to downstairs? That's not what I want, the cable comes into the house downstairs, so i want to add 'something' to just plug into downstairs.

It doesn't work like that. The Ethernet connection needs to come from the router to the PS4. So, if the router is upstairs and the PS4 is downstairs, you need to figure out how to run the Ethernet cable between each location.

You would have the same issue in reverse, so if your router was situated downstairs near the PS4, you would then have the problem of running the Ethernet cable upstairs to the PC.

The only other option I can think of is to use a couple of Powerline adapters to send a wired connect along your power cables. To do this, plug one in near the router and connect an Ethernet cable to it from the router, then plug the other adapter in near the PS4 and connect an Ethernet to it from the PS4. Get passthrough ones, then you don't lose the plug socket consumed by the adapters.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

@mjpartyboy

Thanks for that, I feared as much, trouble is I have extra wifi access points running off the router upstairs to extend the wifi range around the house, so all the ethernet ports are full.

Would it be practical to get a 4 port ethernet hub to increase the amount of ethernet outlets, then run another long ethernet cable downstairs from that?

Cheers

Dave

Edit: Or how about adding another router downstairs ??????

@dave_in_manc you can't add another VM hub downstairs as they will only allow one per account. I'm afraid ethernet is really the only way to go (powerline adapters notwithstanding), and yes a 4 or 5 port ethernet switch would work upstairs.

Many thanks, I've never used powerline adapters before but after a quick google they do look like the easiest solution.

Many thanks to you both, i'll give them a whirl and see what happens.

Cheers

Dave

@dave_in_manc no worries, but do be aware that Powerline can work perfectly for some users and be a complete dog’s dinner for others. The performance depends highly on the way the house has been wired up and some electrical devices in the house (washing machines etc) can be a bit ‘electrically noisy’ and play havoc with the throughput.

Certainly worth a punt though and if they happen to work reliably for you then good, and saves running cables. But I would suggest getting some from a reliable dealer with a clear returns policy if you find they don’t happen to work in your environment.