cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiencing high ping spikes

Nfinity
On our wavelength

Hi,

I'm currently a Virgin Media internet subscriber to a package with speeds of 1000mbps down and 50mbps up. In terms of speeds, my internet has been perfect since first getting it.

However, over the last few months my internet has degraded when playing multiplayer games. When playing titles like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, Rocket League, and even Forza Horizon 5, ping previously was consistently around 20ms-30ms depending on servers etc. Now, my ping can randomly spike: sometimes as low as 40-50ms, sometimes as high as 800-900ms. Its getting to the point where multiplayer games are unplayable.

I'm of the belief that its oversubscription but I'm hoping that its a router problem and that it can be fixed by purchasing a better router, but I don't want to make that investment until I know.

Any help is appreciated!

26 REPLIES 26

Nfinity
On our wavelength
I finally got the latency and jitter results:

Latency: 14.3ms
Jitter: 2.32ms

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That wasn't bad, at the moment you ran the test. If you check the BQM for that time you will see there was a relatively quiet period.

Try it again tomorrow, mid evening when you're having trouble with the games. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Nfinity
On our wavelength
Having extreme problems at the moment. Did another test and nothing peculiar is showing up on a realspeed test:

Latency: 13ms
Jitter: 1.86ms

Really not sure what to do, I'm getting very **bleep** off with Virgin at the moment.

Hi Nfinity, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your broadband looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. 

Your BMQ graph that you posted on Saturday is a good insight into what is happening. 

I have checked your services on my side and I can see that your Hub's stats are slightly out of spec, which may be causing your latency issues. 

An engineer will need to be booked to get this sorted, which I'll get sorted within a PM with you now. 

Speak to you soon.

Thanks,

Megan_L

Nfinity
On our wavelength
Hey Megan,

Thank you for the response!

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Nfinity,

Thanks for chatting with me in our PM's, I was able to book a visit for you 🙂

If you need to check or change it, you can do so on your Online Account.

Please let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Megan_L

Nfinity
On our wavelength

Hi Megan,

I was told to contact again if the issue wasn't resolved by an engineer visit. While the engineer did come and tighten all our cable connections, the high ping spikes remain.

The issues are still extremely prevalent and sometimes more so than before.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

According to your BQM the situation is unchanged. You are sharing the local network with some very heavy users. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Not that its the heavy users fault just need more docsis upstream
---------------------------------------------------------------

True. My friend used to be a 'heavy user' in his last house. VM sent a letter to him asking him if he can switch all his NZB downloading to after 9:30pm as multiple users on the street had rang and complained about their internet, and they had realised that he was hogging all the bandwidth available for the street in the comms cabinet.

He framed that letter and hung it on his wall.