cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiencing high ping spikes

Nfinity
On our wavelength

Hi,

I'm currently a Virgin Media internet subscriber to a package with speeds of 1000mbps down and 50mbps up. In terms of speeds, my internet has been perfect since first getting it.

However, over the last few months my internet has degraded when playing multiplayer games. When playing titles like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, Rocket League, and even Forza Horizon 5, ping previously was consistently around 20ms-30ms depending on servers etc. Now, my ping can randomly spike: sometimes as low as 40-50ms, sometimes as high as 800-900ms. Its getting to the point where multiplayer games are unplayable.

I'm of the belief that its oversubscription but I'm hoping that its a router problem and that it can be fixed by purchasing a better router, but I don't want to make that investment until I know.

Any help is appreciated!

26 REPLIES 26

Nfinity
On our wavelength

Client62
Legend

The Wicked Queen asks daily ...

Mirror Mirror on the wall, which internet service has the worst latency & jitter of them all ?

The mirror responds ...

My Queen, Hubs 4 & 5 with Gig 1 have the most latency and jitter in the land.

Nfinity
On our wavelength

If the issue is my router, what are the solutions here?

Virgin Media are raising the price of our package soon offering a potential out if this is entirely unfixable.

Try searching for "overutilization" at that's what it looks like to me.

What are the latency and jitter like on your service

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Nfinity
On our wavelength

Could you explain at all how I would check for overutilisation?

For reference, only two people are using the internet at once in my household. I'm one of them, generally using it for online gaming and/or streaming video content, and my parents are another, sometimes watching video content on television. I would have thought that 1Gbps package would stop this from being an issue.

Nfinity
On our wavelength
Trying to use this service and it keeps saying "router is busy"?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Your BQM shows clearly that at peak times there are too many users on line, all doing just the same as you and your family are doing, and your local Virgin network can't cope.

You can prove it for yourself by going on line in the early morning when your neighbours are asleep. You'll find that your games run perfectly well.

This is the fault of Virginmedia who have not upgraded their capacity to feed the new customers they have signed up. 

There is nothing you can do yourself to fix this

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Nfinity
On our wavelength
Thanks for the help.

What does the path look like from here with Virgin? Can I prove this is happening and use it to get Virgin to fix or look elsewhere?