cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer Split Connection with neigbour at front of house ... big lag spikes (from 30ms -> 200+)

Vanadam91
Joining in

Hi,

my neighbour recently purchased Virgin Fibre and when the engineer came to set up he knocked on our door and said he was going to "split our connection" temporarily at the front of the house to my neighbour using the fibre cables at the front of the house.

im not very technically able in fibre connections but since he has done this i am getting random ping spikes and sometimes game disconnects in games. for example, in LoL and Halo my connection is incredibly unstable for fractions of a second where the ping spikes to 200+ and then goes back to 32 essentially freezing the game for a second or so. this only appears to happen at night. VOIP programs like discord and teamspeak also become randomly unusable during the evening as well as the packet loss is so sever i cant understand anyone in the calls.

it may not be my neighbours at all or even this cable but its getting incredibly frustrating.

any suggestions?

14 REPLIES 14

Hi 🙂 thank you for your reply,

the ping is still rather unstable on an evening. im no expert but the Broadband Quality Monitor is still picking up large spikes upwards of 160ms which is noticeable at times. there have been no complete disconnects in the last few days though which was occurring will playing games such as runescape and league of legends.

i recently received notice that essential works will be taking place in my area on Thursday which should result in an improved connectivity is variable ping a common issue in my area/ do you know if the scheduled work is to improve ping in the area? 

thank you

Adam.

Thanks for coming back to me Adam. If there are planned essential works, this is usually to improve our network so hopefully you will see things stabilise. I'd suggest monitoring your connection, as currently all is looking as it should this end. If you find things are still unstable, pop back to us and we can take it from there.

Many thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

When a new installation is done by linking to the neighbour, it's often left that way permanently, so if it's an untidy cable and you want it removed you will have to complain.

Having said that, in theory it probably won't make any difference to your own broadband if the neighbour's connection is moved directly to the cabinet. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi again,

since the work carried out on the network the ping issue is still persisting. today i have even dropped connection 3 times.

BQM is below.

a title="Broadband Ping" href="https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/cc2031b776136074fab8f2d1f7aeb59a88...">My Broadband Ping - M200 3

Hey there @Vanadam91, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear that the issue is on-going with your connection.
I will look in to this and send you a private message - watch out for the purple envelope.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs