cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed on PC

nathanM1234
Tuning in

Hello,

I have switched from an Xbox to a PC but my download speed is a lot lower than it was on my Xbox. I was getting 40 MB/S on average when installing a game but now I'm only on around 4.5 MBS.

i am using a wired powerline adapter on both setups.

Many thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try connecting your PC directly to the Hub using a known good Cat 6 cable.  Speed tests have to be done directly to the Hub, as PLA's are known to cause issues due to using house electrical circuits.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I don't believe the issue is solely to do with the Power line adapter as when i use the same one on my xbox it does have better speeds. i understand that a PLA will not be as good as a direct wire in to the Hub but i would imagine that it should get similar speeds on my PC as it did on my Xbox.

Many thanks 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nathanM1234 wrote:

I don't believe the issue is solely to do with the Power line adapter <snip>

Irrespective of PLA's.  VM will not accept any speed tests unless they are wired directly to the Hub.  They also do not guarantee wifi speeds of any sort.

It would be worth while in any case to get yourself a long Cat 6 cable for testing purposes.  I keep a 30 Mtr one just for this sort of use, and they are not that expensive.

Also consider setting up a BQM to record the state of your incoming circuit.  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your post @nathanM1234, and a very warm welcome to you!

Have you been able to run any wired speed tests and set up a broadband quality monitor since your post?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hello,

I have done a wired test on a different device and i was getting my full speed i pay for. I am aware that when it is done through a powerline adapter i will have a performance decrease, i just don't understand why it differs from using the PLA on an xbox vs PC

Many thanks,

When testing the PLA on different devices, was it plugged into different sockets?  That might explain speed differences because the performance can vary depending on how the house mains are wired.

Even if that doesn't apply, PLA performance "is what it is", and you either tolerate the speeds you see, or look at alternatives such as ethernet connections.  And you've probably already considered and decided against those.  If you revisit those thoughts, consider white, flat profile Cat 6a cable, which is often easier to fit discretely around a house than a dark coloured round cable.