Menu
Mousewhacker
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

DNS Issues + 2nd Router?

Hi,

Had Virgin for a year now with no issues but last week has been terrible with not being able to connect to DNS servers. Questions are:

1) Do the DNS issues ever self resolve?

2) If I go down a 2nd router connected to the VM Hub3 which one should I go for? So many choices, looking for something reasonably priced that will be better than the Superhub but not as expensive as Top End Gaming routers, any brands recommended?

3) Any pages to point me to about how to set up the 2nd router with my Virgin, could probably wing it but thought best to check

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: DNS Issues + 2nd Router?

1)the cant resolve DNS, or cant contact the DNS is just the standard error message when the internet drops, you can use different DNS rather then the standard VIrginmedia DNS.. but this needs to be done manually on each device.. e.g. -> https://www.howtogeek.com/164981/how-to-switch-to-opendns-or-google-dns-to-speed-up-web-browsing/

2) this greatly depends on budget and any additional features would like to have.. granted the big routers a lot of the community recommend include the tplink archer C7, Netgear nighthawk, Asus RT68AC series, could get e.g. a TP-LINK Archer C60 around £40-50

3) when using a 3rd party router would need to enable modem mode -> https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030... then just need to reboot the hub once attached to the new 3rd party router.. when it comes to the network configuration on the 3rd party router should be left on automatic/DHCP for the WAN/Internet

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos