Menu
custardx
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Constant packet loss on line causing lag spikes

I've called 3 times for VM support to get help with this issue to no avail. I am actually currently waiting for a call back "in 10mins" (30 mins have currently passed).

When playing on games I am experiencing constant lag spikes. I setup a broadband monitor on thinkbroadband and it shows almost constant missing packets on the line:Broadband Monitor - 30th March.PNG

The red band is often between 5-20% and the issue around 12 is where the connection just completely dropped. This happens once a night on average.

The connection between our PC's and the Hub3 are solid. I user a powerline most of the time but we've tried ethernet and wireless and both have the same result. Connection is solid between the machines and the router and then mucks up 'outside'.

This is really starting to cause problems for me in online games. Can't really play anything competitive when I'm constantly jumping back and forth.

Any ideas please?

Note: I am in area 06 and the first fix was to replace the router (hasn't helped). Second was to "change the channels" on the device. The guy kept going on about wireless that time and didn't seem to understand what I was saying.

0 Kudos
custardx
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant packet loss on line causing lag spikes

Engineer came out the other day. Checked the line at the house and the box outside and said the signal was good. Said he would get the networks guys to 'look into it'. Also replaced my HUB again for good measure.

So far it's been of no help. My current graph looks very similar to the one I originally posted with red lines all over the place.

As another example of the issue. This is the tracert result for something simple like bbc.co.uk:

Spoiler
1 6 ms 6 ms 4 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 59 ms 28 ms 17 ms basl-core-2a-xe-300-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.175.105]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 25 ms 20 ms 29 ms brnt-ic-1-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.198]
6 30 ms 30 ms 15 ms m686-mp2.cvx1-b.lis.dial.ntli.net [62.254.42.174]
7 27 ms 21 ms 22 ms 213.46.174.118
8 40 ms 22 ms 24 ms 149.6.9.118
9 20 ms 25 ms 22 ms 151.101.128.81

This is an example of almost every tracert I've done with timed out steps.

Going to need to find out what my rights are to leave VM mid contract because, without wanting to sound like a whiny person, the packet loss on the line is unacceptable. Not only does it interrupt gaming but videos will often cut out and pages can take ages to load. I also work from home on a fairly regular basis and the VPN to work just cutting out is a pain as well.

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Welcome @custardx to the Intel Puma 6 rabbit hole.
Its a flaw in the chipset that was used in the Hub3, replacing them will not do anything, checking power levels will not fix it, changing channels will not fix it.

You have identified the only known fix for it, leave Virgin, what you need to do is request a deadlock letter from them, then raise a case with Cisas (no cost to you even if you lose) who will usually require you to wait 8 weeks to provide Virgin the time to resolve the fault, of which they won't because they can't (well they could by allowing us to use 3rd party modems...but alas for 2 years since the problem was identified to them they haven't so thats unlikely to change) at which point they will be legally obliged to allow you to leave your contract free of charge, and tbh we need to see more of this, till Virgin learn pumping out *beep* kit will result in customers leaving if you allow no fix for it!

I'm on the business offering which uses a slightly different router modem but still the same chipset so still the same issue *sigh* however I'm able to somewhat mitigate the problem by using the modem router in modem only mode, then have a much better router sat behind it, that at least takes some of the strain off of the device as its only task is to connect you to the rest of the interwebs and pass that to your own router, yoiu'll certainly see your BQM drop and look at least a bit more respectable.

Be warned, that there is currently a firmware being rolled out, that hides the problem to make it, in my opinion, to stop people doing exactly this, because for alot of users without the use of a BQM it'll be hard for people to *prove* there's an issue

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
custardx
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I've seen similar issues a lot on this site relating to the SH3 although the one's I've seen all have latency issues but no packet loss. As irritating as the latency fluctuations would be on their own at least it would be better than losing 5-20% of the packets.

I did some speed tests the other day and one moment it can be 100mbs (what I pay for) and the next 0.5mbs (that is not a typo).

I've got another engineer coming out on Monday. If they can't fix it (I am doubtful at this point) I will be able to get out of my contract early without issue.

It'a shame as I had VM in my previous house (different area) without problems but, that was on a SH1 or 2 (can't remember).

Will see what happens on Monday otherwise I shall see if the BT service is any better.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi custardx, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with packet loss. 

I have taken a look and it seems your downstream modem SNR is a little on the low side. 

I would like to get an engineer out to take a look at this for you. I will pop you a PM to get this arranged. 

Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
custardx
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The saga has moved on slightly but at the same time, it hasn't.

The 3rd engineer visit the other day (and 2nd engineer) found a problem in 'the pit' with the cable to my house. This got fixed and after having to factory reset my router I was working nicely. The packet loss was mostly gone and online gaming was stable. Then on Thursday it just stopped. Completely stopped. My broadband monitor showed no connection and the SH3 was restarting itself over and over. Queue the 4th engineer visit (and 3rd engineer) today.

Broadband Monitor - 15th April.png

To his credit he did a very thorough job and replaced everything he could - new cabling, connectors, splitter and hub.When he left everything was working. I still had higher than desirable max latency on the connection however no problems at all with games. Then we get to around 10:30pm and the connection just stops again (although the hub is still on which is a change). I restart it and now we're back in the previous spot - connection keeps turning off and when it's on I have packet loss:

The long and short of it is I give up. There seems to be something fundamentally flawed here if a connection can go from working quite nicely to not working to then working badly for no good reason.

I have signed up for BT fibre which is due to start on the 19th. Hopefully I will get some more luck on their network.

0 Kudos
custardx
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Call me paranoid but my lengthy update on this situation has vanished.

Long story short: Engineer came out today and replaced everything. Was fine until 10:30pm and now I'm back in the same situation.

I have now given up and have signed up for BT fibre. Hopefully their network/routers work better.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Nat_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear about this custardx,

I've located your details and I'm unable to find any active faults relating to this at the moment.

How have things been for you since posting?

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
custardx
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Still the same. Since they 'repaired' the cable outside I flit between maybe 1-2 hours of stability with the rest of the time split between lots of packet loss or completely off. Last Saturday an engineer replaced all of the cabling he could - this looked to have worked however after 4 or so hours of stability it flared up again. Even when it is 'working' I flit between 100mbs download speed to 6mbs (I pay for 100).

I've come to the conclusion that I am having the SH3 issue that is widely reported on these forums. I have stopped reporting issues as I am leaving VM tomorrow to go to BT in the hope that their connection is better. It's a shame as I had no issues with VM at our previous property but my patience has run its course.

0 Kudos