Menu
Highlighted
ivar
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Constant Ping Spikes

Although I do not notice this while simply browsing the internet, I have constant lag (ping) spikes.

I play:

Counter Strike Global Offensive

League of Legends (Not anymore but had the same issue)

Lineage 2

They all have the same issue and thus I am pretty sure the fault is not within the game or their servers.

Even looking at my teamspeak 3 connection info, When I have no ping spike, on a perfect minute, I have 26 ping on the teamspeak 3 server.

Had the connection info opened for the last hour to and saw that I constantly have 80-150 ping, sometimes going down to he perfect 26 (rare occurrence) and at certain points even going up to thousands of ms.

I have included thinkbroadband graph from today. Although this has been almost identical everyday since I started the graph (almost 2 months ago)

73afa328c26eb03af23f6c01a3e1a11499d0eae7-14-10-2017.png

What would you recommend me do?

Should I give virgin a call or is there something else going on?

0 Kudos
Datalink
Up to speed
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Constant Ping Spikes

I'm assuming that you have a HUB 3 as your BQM looks like a typical HUB 3 BQM.  I refer you to the following thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latenc...

1.  Should you call VM?  Not much point at this time.  They are working on an update, as is every other ISP across the world that uses a Puma 6 modem. 

2.  Is there something else going on?  The reference thread will supply the details.  Its a hardware and firmware design problem that is at fault. 

0 Kudos
ivar
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So...From reading about an hour on puma 6 chipsets and about people that have same issues i gathered this

1. The issue has been there since late 2015 thus meaning that it has been around for more than 2 years now without a fix and I, or in fact any hub 3 user be looking forward to an update on the firmware as there is no ETA and god knows if there will be one in the foreseeable future.

2. The best option is to change ISP, which I can't as I'm living in a house full of students that will go crazy if they can't do their university work at home. On addition to that, I am a new virgin media customer (2 months) and in a 12 month contract, therefore, in simple terms I am F***ed.

3. Due to my situation, and from what I read that getting the SuperHub 2ac fixes the issue, but it brings questions such as will I be able to do this? From what I gathered virgin doesn't really let people change the router (which is the most stupidest thing I have ever hear).

If anyone has any suggestions on my next step please write, as I have been monitoring my ping the whole day and I am not impressed.

Having 22 ping on my teamspeak 3 server (was wrong before on the number) until something is done on the internet, sometimes even a simple load of a webpage causes the ping to jump to mid 500s.

What is virgin media thinking deploying what I believe in most eyes is a faulty product and not even saying a word about it...

Jonas2
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm having this exact issue... Did you ever find a fix for it?

0 Kudos
Luceforall
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have now been with Virgin almost 3 years. After an initial string of problems, when I almost regretted leaving BT broadband, things seemed to settle but now it has been around 2 months that the PING fluctuates too much and some days to silly levels 3 times in an hour - it does not matter if I have another computer on or not. Today I tried the speedtest and within a few minutes the Ping results changed 3 times. When I first spoke to a Virgin Media salesman (I have his name on record). I emphasised to him that stability to me was as important as, if not even more, than speed and he reassured me the stability was good. I am a semi invalid and my pastime is a Role Playing MMORPG retro style game (Mac only), where you actually make friends and chat with a small community of players from all around the world, so it has become much more than a game. I do not watch TV so being able to play this game for me is very important. I keep getting booted out these days every time I play, with much inconvenience to myself and my fellow players. Even the game master/developer has been busy on my behalf to see what was wrong, testing this and that, and yesterday we came to this conclusion - the issue is the latency between my computer and the nearest server.

I was reading earlier that the problem is faulty hardware or something along those lines - I would appreciate a response from Virgin on how and how soon this big nuisance can be fixed. Just to add some information, I have a Superhub 2ac

Thank you

0 Kudos
Luceforall
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Right at this moment in time I am having mega and frequent latency problems with the Super-Hub 2ac (it's been a couple of months now) so if I were you I would not rush just now!
0 Kudos
Luceforall
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@ Ivar Right at this moment in time I am having mega and frequent latency problems with the Super-Hub 2ac (it's been a couple of months now) so if I were you I would not rush just now!
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Luceforall,

Apologies for your latency issues. I can honestly see no issue from here. Your Hub is reporting healthy stats with no timeouts and optimal power levels, whilst the network segment to which it connects is free from any issue with Noise or errors (I checked back to the date of your post, 11th April).

Would you please let us know how you are connecting, via Ethernet or wireless? Also do you have any data/graphs that indicate the latency?

If not then please run both a traceroute and ping test (to bbc.co.uk) and post the output on here for us to inspect. 

Many thanks,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
kthrnwst8
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

I've been following this thread for a while as I have been having very similar problems. I did the trace root test as you asked and you can see that there was a ping spike during it (235ms is not ideal). Any idea on how to fix it?

Thanks, Kath.

ping spike.png

0 Kudos
Mcrdhd
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

I am also having the same issue (Hub 3.0) Service desk agents are telling me to enabling port forwarding which I have done... still seeing spikes in latency, are you able to assist? 

This is very frustrating as I mainly use the internet for online gaming and will be looking to a different ISP if this can't be resolved. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos