Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Constant High latency and ping spikes

Hi

I've recently moved from Sky Fibre to Virgin Vivid 100 Fibre. My download speeds have vastly improved, which is great, but as we're a family of gamers, we've found that our in-game latency and ping has deteriorated quite significantly.

I set up a monitor with ThinkBroadband yesterday to see if it shed any light on things, and this is the result:

bqm-091118.png

As you can see, the Maximum latency is very high. pretty well all of the time which I would think is not normal?

We tend to play Mulitplayer on a PS4 and PC, connected via TP Link Power Adaptor/ethernet cable.

My partner also plays Fortnite on an iPad or iPhone over WiFi and finds this extremely laggy to the point of being unplayable at times.

The red line at the end is where the router was restarted as instructed after running the VM system check.

Is this maximum latency normal or could there be a problem of some kind with our setup?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant High latency and ping spikes

Afternoon majorcain,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are experiencing high latency and ping spikes.

In regards to this issue, we are aware that some customers are not on the current firmware and is currently being looked into.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response Samantha. Our Virgin network is down now, and has been for the past few hours, so we have no internet at all until the engineer manages ti fix it.

Midnight tonight is the time published on the System Report page. Let's hope it's quicker than that.

We have an autistic child who lives for the internet, so any outage becomes pretty unpleasant, very quickly.

Not a great start to life as a Virgin Media customer, but hopefully they'll get it fixed soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for the update, do you have an engineer visit arranged?

Checking your service from this end shows that your Hub is reporting low downstream SNR, which would normally required a tech visit to resolve.

If this hasn't been booked in for you please drop us a quick update back here and we can make arrangements or alternatively give us a quick call on 150 from your Virgin landline on 0345 454 1111.

Kind rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ralph

Thanks for getting back to me. I haven't arranged an engineer visit as I wasn't sure if what I was experiencing was normal or not. Glad to see that it could possibly be fixed. I would be most grateful if you could help me out with that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No problem, happy to arrange a tech visit, we can do this via online chat, just click on the link below to get through to one of the team.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've got 3 computers, 2 Xbox Ones (one X and one S), One PS4. All devices are mostly hard wired and one computer is WiFi.  My daughter and I play Overwatch and while on the game my network is reading spikes in lag ranging from 25 lowest all the way up to 1158ms.  I've had this for the past week and with more than 6 calls and all the support people saying there is nothing wrong but it's never happened before. I need help big time as if we can't get sorted I will need to leave and I really don't wanna do that at all. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Also to say this is happening with all games not just Overwatch but also with. 2nd Life, Forza Horizon 4, Diablo 3, WOW.  Also on twitch and any live TV this is happening as well. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You'll want to make a new thread rather than necroing an old thread and make sure to include diagnostics such as the downstream stats, upstream stats, and network log from your Hub.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos