cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Archer VR2800 to Hub 4

GalenAltaiir
Tuning in

I recently bought an Archer router from TP-Link. The intention behind this was to counter some of the issues we've been experiencing with the Hub for over a year. 

This is only visible during gaming, where the connection seems to do something weird and the players / or myself jump with the server trying to adjust for movement error. On the low end of the problem, there is a noticable delay between my shots and server registration. It's getting to a point where I have to factory reset my hub daily before I play.

VM did not find any faults or problems and as such I thought I'd try the router approach.

However, the router doesn't want to seem to connect to the internet after the "quick setup". I've tried all 3 operation modes (DSL Modem Router, 3G/4G Router Mode, Wireless Router Mode) and only 3G/4G Router mode allowed for a connection through ethernet to my computer, giving me access to the internet. But on the TP dashboard it would still show no internet, and wifi networks did not have connections either.

I'm little bit lost at this point as it seems all the guides and previous problem solutions where Hub 3 was used did not help.

During Setup I tried both the PPPoe as well as Dynamic IP and neither managed to successfully connect.

I've tried factory resetting both router and the hub, setting hub4 to modem mode, connecting tplink, waiting for everything to initialise - then turning off the hub for 10 minutes and turning it back on. No luck with this approach.

I've tried to following guides too:
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/170344?replyId=419218

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/269540

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Connecting-Superhub-3-0-to-TP-Link-or-other-route...

So in short, I'm out of ideas. When clicking the internet tab on mobile dashboard for TP-Link, IP, MAC and all the other info returns blank. Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Get a router that not for DSL
---------------------------------------------------------------

Could you elaborate?

After looking into DSL, I can see that they use the phone line as a primary connection to the internet.

Are there any routers you could recommend (around £150) that can work well with the hub 4, and manage the 1Gb speeds?

If not, how can I tell apart a router that needs a phone line and one that doesn't?

@GalenAltaiir wrote:

Could you elaborate?

After looking into DSL, I can see that they use the phone line as a primary connection to the internet.

Are there any routers you could recommend (around £150) that can work well with the hub 4, and manage the 1Gb speeds?

If not, how can I tell apart a router that needs a phone line and one that doesn't?

Did you use the Ethernet port labeled 'LAN/WAN' on the Archer to connect to the HUB?

Have you ensured there are no other wired devices connected to the HUB?

Your device must be in 'Wireless Router Mode'.

Yeah, I tried that. Same result

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Must connect in a specific order:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green, on a Hub5 the LED will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money. On a Hub5 use port 4.

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or when VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Tom_K
Joining in
I had same router , should work with Dynamic IP