cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer capped at 100mbps

Ben191
Joining in

I have just got the virgin hub 4 an dit has limited my computer to only 100mbps even tho I have a contract of 500mbps. 

i have a cat 6 cable and have 1gbps selected in my internet settings but still doesn't work 

15 REPLIES 15

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

reseat the lan cable - if you are in router mode try a different lan port

worth a full reset see if that helps

log into hub3/4 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Ben191_0-1637006369359.png

Ben191_0-1637006396838.png

Ben191_1-1637006417695.png

Ben191_2-1637006434327.png

Ben191_3-1637006449950.png

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

downstream is ok - not 100% sure on upstream but i think its too low - dont know what effect that will have on the connection

check all coax connections are tight - do a full reset - did you have an attenuator on the old hub and have you added it to the hub 4 - small connector between the coax in and the hub

Tony.
Sacked VIP

No i didn't have one and this is the main problem how would I remove the cap as it is the same for all ethernet connections.

Ben191_0-1637007178937.png

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

image will not be shown as its got a mac addy in it but thats not a cap from the hub i think just what the connection is reporting - it may be the hub ports are faulty or the cable is bad/damaged or badly seated or the lan card is set at 100 rathere than gigabit

so check those - also do a full hub reset

looking at the upstream again are you on a FTTP connection - i belive upstream levels are lower on that

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Just did a factory reset and checked all the cables still not working to the correct speeds and still caped to 100mbps

@Ben191 wrote:

Just did a factory reset and checked all the cables still not working to the correct speeds and still caped to 100mbps

What exactly is reporting your speed as 100Mb/s?

Is it your network settings in Windows (LAN)?

If its a LAN issue, You mention you have manually set your Network Interface to 1000Mb/s, try setting it to auto-negotiate.

How long is the Ethernet cable?

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Is there a brown box on the outside of the property, and if there is, is that box squarish, or rectangular?  And is there a DC power supply inside the house leading to where the VM coaxial cable comes through the the wall?

Pictures at the bottom of the page on this link give examples, although exact design of the rectangular boxes does vary a bit.